Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - dimensions

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897

    dimensions

    hi, i measured the dimensions of an A4 piece of paper i got 210mmX297mm now i need to know what the dimensions of an A3 piece of paper is when the A4 piece of paper has been enlarged by scale factor of 2. ( i think the answer is 594mmX840mm because a normal A3 piece of paper is 297mmX420mm). iam i right if not please help thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    hi, i measured the dimensions of an A4 piece of paper i got 210mmX297mm now i need to know what the dimensions of an A3 piece of paper is when the A4 piece of paper has been enlarged by scale factor of 2. ( i think the answer is 594mmX840mm because a normal A3 piece of paper is 297mmX420mm). iam i right if not please help thanks
    I'm not sure why the dimensions of A3 paper would change, if the dimensions of something else were scaled...? (The exercise, as currently stated, seems non-sensical.)

    To learn about scaling, try some online lessons. Once you've obtained clarification of this particular exercise from your instructor, if you're still confused, please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, your instructor's feedback, and an explanation of how your work relates.

    Thank you!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    I'm not sure why the dimensions of A3 paper would change, if the dimensions of something else were scaled...? (The exercise, as currently stated, seems non-sensical.)

    To learn about scaling, try some online lessons. Once you've obtained clarification of this particular exercise from your instructor, if you're still confused, please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise, your instructor's feedback, and an explanation of how your work relates.

    Thank you!
    this is my question in full-
    measure the dimensions of a piece of A4 paper. what would the dimensions of A3 be if A4 is enlarged by scale factor 2? what is the scale factor of enlargement A4-> A5 and A3-> A5
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Like a stone-audioslave ADARSH's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    From
    India
    Posts
    726
    Thanks
    2
    You answer in first post is correct



    this will be clarifying much of it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    If I'm guessing the meaning correctly, we're supposed to be familiar with the underlying "philosophy" of AX paper, as outlined here; namely, that AX sheets (A3, A4, A5, etc) have dimensions that are always (approximately) in the ratio of width:length = 1/sqrt[2], and that "adjacent" paper sizes have dimensions in the same ratio.

    I think this exercise is asking you to scale the current dimensions of an A4 sheet, pretend that these new values are the actual dimensions of an A4 sheet, and then use the ratio between "next" sizes to find the new values of the dimensions of what would be a new sheet of A3.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by stapel View Post
    If I'm guessing the meaning correctly, we're supposed to be familiar with the underlying "philosophy" of AX paper, as outlined here; namely, that AX sheets (A3, A4, A5, etc) have dimensions that are always (approximately) in the ratio of width:length = 1/sqrt[2], and that "adjacent" paper sizes have dimensions in the same ratio.

    I think this exercise is asking you to scale the current dimensions of an A4 sheet, pretend that these new values are the actual dimensions of an A4 sheet, and then use the ratio between "next" sizes to find the new values of the dimensions of what would be a new sheet of A3.
    so is what i said on my first post, was i right
    Last edited by andyboy179; April 7th 2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. What is the value of the dimensions?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 2nd 2011, 03:45 AM
  2. dimensions U, W, U+W
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 8th 2010, 03:02 AM
  3. Dimensions
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 19th 2010, 09:08 AM
  4. Box Dimensions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 9th 2009, 09:12 AM
  5. Dimensions
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 3rd 2008, 10:24 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum