Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - need help on some factor problems

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21

    need help on some factor problems

    can someone factor these problems until they cant be factored anymore thanks


    a^3+a^2b-ab^2-b^3


    x^4-10x^2+9


    x^4-24x^2+144


    a^3+2a^2-5a-10
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by elfen_lied View Post
    can someone factor these problems until they cant be factored anymore thanks


    a^3+a^2b-ab^2-b^3
    a^3+a^2b-ab^2-b^3=a^2(a+b)-b^2(a+b)=(a^2-b^2)(a+b) =(a-b)(a+b)(a+b)

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by elfen_lied View Post
    can someone factor these problems until they cant be factored anymore thanks
    x^4-10x^2+9
    Clearly if x=1 this is zero so x-1 is a factor. Long division gives:

    <br />
x^4-10x^2+9=(x-1)(x^3+x^2-9x-9)<br />

    and if x=-1 the second term on the right is zero, so x+1 is a factor
    of that term, and you should be able to complete this yourself from this
    point.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    Clearly if x=1 this is zero so x-1 is a factor. Long division gives:

    <br />
x^4-10x^2+9=(x-1)(x^3+x^2-9x-9)<br />

    and if x=-1 the second term on the right is zero, so x+1 is a factor
    of that term, and you should be able to complete this yourself from this
    point.

    RonL


    i don't quite get what you just said there can you explain it a bit more?
    is (x-1) the GCF?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by elfen_lied View Post
    i dont quite get what you just said there can you explain it a bit more?
    if a polynomial p(x) is zero when x=a, then x-a is a factor of the polynomial.

    When x=-1, x^3+x^2-9x-9=0, so x+1 is a factor of x^3+x^2-9x-9.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    if a polynomial p(x) is zero when x=a, then x-a is a factor of the polynomial.

    When x=-1, x^3+x^2-9x-9=0, so x+1 is a factor of x^3+x^2-9x-9.

    RonL

    can you please just factor the problems step by step because i really don't understand anything in words only in numbers
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by elfen_lied View Post
    can you please just factor the problems step by step because i really don't understand anything in words only in numbers
    Why don't you post your work and then we will be able to tell you where you are going wrong.

    You will not benefit from us doing all your work for you, we are here to help you learn to do it for yourself.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    Why don't you post your work and then we will be able to tell you where you are going wrong.

    You will not benefit from us doing all your work for you, we are here to help you learn to do it for yourself.

    RonL
    okay so after (x-1)(x^3+x^2-9x-9)
    so do i factor them some more?
    if so how?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    419
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elfen_lied View Post
    x^4-10x^2+9
    Perhaps a slightly different approach would work better for you.

    x^4-10x^2+9

    Notice how we only have even powers of x listed here. So to momentarily simplify the expression I'm going to define y = x^2:
    x^4-10x^2+9 = y^2 - 10y + 9

    This is a simple quadratic, which you should know how to factor.

    I get that
    y^2 - 10y + 9 = (y - 1)(y - 9)

    Now we put the x's back in:
    x^4-10x^2+9 = y^2 - 10y + 9 = (y - 1)(y - 9) = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 - 9)

    x^4-10x^2+9 = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 - 9)

    Now. Notice that each of these factors is of the form: x^2 - a^2 = (x + a)(x - a), so

    x^4-10x^2+9 = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 - 9) = (x + 1)(x - 1)(x + 3)(x - 3)

    The same approach will also work on your third problem.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. factor analysis , extract second factor loading
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 1st 2011, 06:17 AM
  2. factor analysis , extract second factor loading
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th 2011, 06:29 AM
  3. Factor problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 23rd 2008, 12:09 AM
  4. i need help with these factor problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 30th 2006, 10:39 PM
  5. HELP needed with3 algebra problems, factor
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 29th 2006, 01:14 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum