Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Another function

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    381

    Another function

    Find the range of each function . For any function that is not one to one , give two distinct values of x which have the same image .

    (1) f(x)=sin x , x are real numbers

    (2) g(x)=\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{1+x} , o\geq x \geq1 ,

    (3) h(x)=In{x} , x>0

    the range for sine function is [-1,1]

    but for the rest , i am not really sure .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Thanks
    1

    Range of function

    Hello thereddevils
    Quote Originally Posted by thereddevils View Post
    Find the range of each function . For any function that is not one to one , give two distinct values of x which have the same image .

    (1) f(x)=sin x , x are real numbers

    (2) g(x)=\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{1+x} , o\geq x \geq1 ,

    (3) h(x)=In{x} , x>0

    the range for sine function is [-1,1]

    but for the rest , i am not really sure .
    (1) f is not one-to-one; e.g. f(0) = f(\pi)

    (2) I presume you mean 0\le x\le 1, in which case, since g is an increasing function for x \ge 0, the range is [1, 1+\sqrt{2}]; and g is one-to-one.

    (3) The function \text{ln}x, for x > 0, has the whole of \mathbb{R} as its range. And it is also one-to-one.

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,599
    Thanks
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by thereddevils View Post
    Find the range of each function . For any function that is not one to one , give two distinct values of x which have the same image .

    (1) f(x)=sin x , x are real numbers

    (2) g(x)=\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{1+x} , o\geq x \geq1 ,

    (3) h(x)=In{x} , x>0

    the range for sine function is [-1,1]

    but for the rest , i am not really sure .
    (1) You know that sin x is periodic with period 2\pi. That should give you an easy answer.
    (2) This is a little harder because this is one to one. I would show that by arguing that the derivative is always positive and so the function is increasing but I don't know what methods you have available.
    (3) I don't recognise "In(x)". Do you mean the natural logarighm? That is ln(x)- "logarithm" starts with a "l" not "I"! If so, same comments as in (2) apply.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
    Hello thereddevils(1) f is not one-to-one; e.g. f(0) = f(\pi)

    (2) I presume you mean 0\le x\le 1, in which case, since g is an increasing function for x \ge 0, the range is [1, 1+\sqrt{2}]; and g is one-to-one.

    (3) The function \text{ln}x, for x > 0, has the whole of \mathbb{R} as its range. And it is also one-to-one.

    Grandad

    Thanks once again . For (2) If the function is one to one , does it mean that the function will be one to one ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    (1) You know that sin x is periodic with period 2\pi. That should give you an easy answer.
    (2) This is a little harder because this is one to one. I would show that by arguing that the derivative is always positive and so the function is increasing but I don't know what methods you have available.
    (3) I don't recognise "In(x)". Do you mean the natural logarighm? That is ln(x)- "logarithm" starts with a "l" not "I"! If so, same comments as in (2) apply.

    For (2) , i made a typo , Grandad has corrected it .

    For (3) , yes it is a natural log . sorry for that mistake , ln

    Thanks for pointing out .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Thanks
    1
    Hello thereddevils
    Quote Originally Posted by thereddevils View Post
    Thanks once again . For (2) If the function is one to one , does it mean that the function will be one to one ?
    Sorry, I don't understand!

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
    Hello thereddevilsSorry, I don't understand!

    Grandad

    Sorry . If the function is an increasing function , does it mean that the function will be one to one ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Thanks
    1

    One-to-one function

    Hello thereddevils
    Quote Originally Posted by thereddevils View Post
    Sorry . If the function is an increasing function , does it mean that the function will be one to one ?
    Yes, providing it's a strictly increasing function - in other words, it doesn't have any sections where the gradient is zero. This is true of the function g(x).

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 27th 2012, 05:28 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 19th 2011, 04:49 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 27th 2010, 05:41 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 14th 2010, 02:46 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 2nd 2010, 10:28 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum