Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Translation Problem

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3

    Translation Problem

    Hello. I have been assigned a set of questions for homework and have not had any problems with them, up until the last question of the set!

    The questions is..

    The function r(x) = 1/(x + 3) is transformed by a translation of 3 units up and 5 units to the right. The transformed function passes through the point (x,7). The value of x to the nearest hundredth is ___

    I can't seem to remember how to find out whether a a function passes through a specific point and was looking for some help.

    Thanks very much.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member mollymcf2009's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    From
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    490
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve131 View Post
    Hello. I have been assigned a set of questions for homework and have not had any problems with them, up until the last question of the set!

    The questions is..

    The function r(x) = 1/(x + 3) is transformed by a translation of 3 units up and 5 units to the right. The transformed function passes through the point (x,7). The value of x to the nearest hundredth is ___

    I can't seem to remember how to find out whether a a function passes through a specific point and was looking for some help.

    Thanks very much.
    Hello!

    Put your function equal to 7, which is the y value of the x that you need to find. Then solve for x! Ok?
    Good luck!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymcf2009 View Post
    Hello!

    Put your function equal to 7, which is the y value of the x that you need to find. Then solve for x! Ok?
    Good luck!

    Hmmm

    So do I put the equation as 7 = 1/(x + 3) then solve for X?

    Sorry it has been a while since I have done this kind of math!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member mollymcf2009's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    From
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    490
    Awards
    1
    Ok, yes that will give you the answer that you need. But I think you are probably supposed to be rewriting the equation in translated form. Take a look at the link below. It gives a good explanation for doing those. The way we did it will give you the same answer, but I think you teacher probably wants you to know how to write out the actual steps. It's actually a good way to understand how functions work.

    Here is the linkTranslations of a graph - Topics in precalculus

    Good luck!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymcf2009 View Post
    Ok, yes that will give you the answer that you need. But I think you are probably supposed to be rewriting the equation in translated form. Take a look at the link below. It gives a good explanation for doing those. The way we did it will give you the same answer, but I think you teacher probably wants you to know how to write out the actual steps. It's actually a good way to understand how functions work.

    Here is the linkTranslations of a graph - Topics in precalculus

    Good luck!!

    Awesome! Thanks a ton for all the help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. problem understanding how to perform a matrix translation
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 19th 2011, 01:38 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 27th 2011, 10:01 AM
  3. Percents Word Problem Translation
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 1st 2011, 07:52 AM
  4. Rectangle Translation Problem need help!
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 15th 2009, 09:01 AM
  5. translation problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 12th 2005, 08:57 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum