Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - needing some understanding

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    From
    in space
    Posts
    60

    needing some understanding

    .3x = -12
    well somehow I dont understand the mathmatics about how this equation is translated. well in order to get rid of the x... we.3x/.3.dont understand.
    then we, I think .3x/3 = -12/.3 the answer is -40. well first I dont understand why we divide .3x/3 and get .3 second, Idont uderstand how -12/.3 =-40. doesnt -12/.3 =-.4 if you can explain . this would help me understand the process . ps my book says the answer is -40
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    Scotland
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by Leona_Marie View Post
    .3x = -12
    well somehow I dont understand the mathmatics about how this equation is translated. well in order to get rid of the x... we.3x/.3.dont understand.
    then we, I think .3x/3 = -12/.3 the answer is -40. well first I dont understand why we divide .3x/3 and get .3 second, Idont uderstand how -12/.3 =-40. doesnt -12/.3 =-.4 if you can explain . this would help me understand the process . ps my book says the answer is -40
     0.3x = -12

    Now, if you realise that  0.3 = \frac{3}{10} , then the equation can be written as:

     \frac{3}{10}x = -12

    We need to get rid of the 3 and the 10 on the left hand side. The 10 is on the denominator, so to get rid of it, we need to multiply the expression by 10. But if we do that, we must ALSO multiply the right hand side of the equation by 10:

     10 \times \frac{3}{10}x = 10 \times (-12)

    Now on the LHS, the 10s on the top and bottom will cancel, leaving:

     3x = -120

    Now we need to get rid of that 3. It's in the numerator, so to get rid of it, we must divide the LHS by 3, and we must also do that to the RHS.

     \frac{3x}{3} = \frac{-120}{3}

    The 3s on the LHS will cancel, and you should be able to calulate the RHS!

     x = -40
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,807
    Thanks
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Leona_Marie View Post
    .3x = -12
    well somehow I dont understand the mathmatics about how this equation is translated. well in order to get rid of the x... we.3x/.3.dont understand.
    then we, I think .3x/3 = -12/.3 the answer is -40. well first I dont understand why we divide .3x/3 and get .3 second, Idont uderstand how -12/.3 =-40. doesnt -12/.3 =-.4 if you can explain . this would help me understand the process . ps my book says the answer is -40
    To solve this equation it is necessary to get the factor 1 (one) in front of the x, because you want to know the value of one x.

    If you divide a number by itself the result is 1 (one). (Don't try this with the number 0, because the division by zero is forbidden). Therefore divide the complete equation by the leading factor of x:

    \dfrac{0.3 \cdot x}{0.3} = \dfrac{-12}{0.3}

    At the LHS you can cancel rhe 0.3 and you'll get:

    1 \cdot x = \dfrac{-12}{0.3}

    To get rid of the decimal number in the denominator multiply the RHS by \frac{10}{10}

    1 \cdot x = \dfrac{-12}{0.3} \cdot \frac{10}{10}

    x = \dfrac{-120}{3} = -40
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    From
    in space
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    To solve this equation it is necessary to get the factor 1 (one) in front of the x, because you want to know the value of one x.

    If you divide a number by itself the result is 1 (one). (Don't try this with the number 0, because the division by zero is forbidden). Therefore divide the complete equation by the leading factor of x:

    \dfrac{0.3 \cdot x}{0.3} = \dfrac{-12}{0.3}

    At the LHS you can cancel rhe 0.3 and you'll get:

    1 \cdot x = \dfrac{-12}{0.3}

    To get rid of the decimal number in the denominator multiply the RHS by \frac{10}{10}

    1 \cdot x = \dfrac{-12}{0.3} \cdot \frac{10}{10}

    x = \dfrac{-120}{3} = -40
    thank you for helping me understand that 0.3x/0.3... I dont mean to belabor, but how does.3 x x =-12 does -120 just reduce down. is -120 the same as -12. because .3 x -4 = -12. no
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,807
    Thanks
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Leona_Marie View Post
    thank you for helping me understand that 0.3x/0.3... I dont mean to belabor, but how does.3 x x =-12 does -120 just reduce down. is -120 the same as -12. because .3 x -4 = -12. no
    x has the value -40. And 0.3 \cdot (-40) = -12 .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Needing some help with congruences
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 4th 2011, 08:32 AM
  2. Needing help with this question
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 25th 2008, 01:29 PM
  3. needing some help please...
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 12th 2006, 05:29 AM
  4. needing some help again
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 21st 2005, 11:59 AM
  5. needing help
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 11th 2005, 03:34 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum