Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Questions part 2

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Questions part 2

    4) Able can harvest a lime crop in 4 days. Barney can do it in 5 days. Charlie would take 6 days. How long will it take them to complete the harvest if they work together?

    5) Pam's favorite recipe for fruit punch requires 15% apple juice. How much pure apple juice does she need to add to 2 gallons of punch that already contains 8% apple juice to meet her standards?

    6) Jane has 40 liters of 60% acid solution. How many liters of water must be added to form a solution that is 40% acid?
    Last edited by mr fantastic; January 11th 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,240

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by gobbluth View Post
    4) Able can harvest a lime crop in 4 days. Barney can do it in 5 days. Charlie would take 6 days. How long will it take them to complete the harvest if they work together?
    How much could Able harvest in one day? How much could Barney harvest? How much could Charlie harvest?

    Then how much could they harvest together in one day?

    Then how many days do they need?

    Google results for "work word problems"

    Going out of order:

    Quote Originally Posted by gobbluth View Post
    6) Jane has 40 liters of 60% acid solution. How many liters of water must be added to form a solution that is 40% acid?
    Use the following set-up:

    . . .liters solution:
    . . . . .60%: 40
    . . . . .water: w
    . . . . .40%: 40 + w

    . . .percent acid:
    . . . . .60%: 0.6
    . . . . .water: 0
    . . . . .40%: ??

    . . .liters acid:
    . . . . .60%: 0.6(40) = 24
    . . . . .water: 0(w) = ??
    . . . . .40%: ??

    Complete the table. Use the fact that the amount of acid in the two inputs must equal the amount of acid in the mixture. Sum the first two expressions, set equal to the third, and solve the resulting linear equation.

    Google results for "mixture word problems"

    Quote Originally Posted by gobbluth View Post
    5) Pam's favorite recipe for fruit punch requires 15% apple juice. How much pure apple juice does she need to add to 2 gallons of punch that already contains 8% apple juice to meet her standards?
    This one works just like the previous exercise, except that you'll be adding a 100% input (because "pure" means "entirely") rather than 0% (because "water" meant "none").

    Have fun!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Questions part 2
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 8th 2009, 04:49 PM
  2. Questions Part 3
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 30th 2009, 07:16 PM
  3. Questions Part 2
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 29th 2009, 02:01 AM
  4. Questions part 3
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 11th 2009, 04:53 PM
  5. Questions part 1
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 11th 2009, 04:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum