Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Store

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Store

    A small grocery store realizes that they can model the number of people in the store using a Poisson distribution, with mean 6. What is the chance that 6 people will be in the store at any given time? (round, if necessary, to the nearest 10th of a percent)

    1-50%

    2-44.6%

    3-16.1%

    4-55.4%
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    A small grocery store realizes that they can model the number of people in the store using a Poisson distribution, with mean 6. What is the chance that 6 people will be in the store at any given time? (round, if necessary, to the nearest 10th of a percent)

    1-50%

    2-44.6%

    3-16.1%

    4-55.4%
    Substitute the information into the usual Poisson formula:

    \Pr(X = 6) = \frac{e^{-6} \, 6^6}{6!}.

    Multiply by 100 to convert into a percentage.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    ok...

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Substitute the information into the usual Poisson formula:

    \Pr(X = 6) = \frac{e^{-6} \, 6^6}{6!}.

    Multiply by 100 to convert into a percentage.
    I've never seen that formula before. This question was given on my final exam but the teacher did no cover the topic in class.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    I've never seen that formula before. This question was given on my final exam but the teacher did no cover the topic in class.
    I wouldn't have thought you'd be given a specific question about the Poisson distribution on an exam unless you had studied that distribution in class.

    Read (the first bit): 1.3.6.6.19. Poisson Distribution
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    ok...

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    I wouldn't have thought you'd be given a specific question about the Poisson distribution on an exam unless you had studied that distribution in class.

    Read (the first bit): 1.3.6.6.19. Poisson Distribution
    I will visit the link suggested.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,318
    Thanks
    1293
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    I've never seen that formula before. This question was given on my final exam but the teacher did no cover the topic in class.
    Then go to your teacher and complain. But don't be surprized if he/she points out exactly when and where the topic was covered!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    I would...

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    Then go to your teacher and complain. But don't be surprized if he/she points out exactly when and where the topic was covered!
    I would complain but the fall 2008 semester ended.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. A store has n different products for sale
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 19th 2011, 10:07 AM
  2. 7-11 store
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 23rd 2008, 05:43 AM
  3. Department Store Problem
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 14th 2008, 05:43 AM
  4. Bicycle Store Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 26th 2007, 06:50 PM
  5. Store Deduction
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 19th 2007, 12:46 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum