Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Largest Possible y Value

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Largest Possible y Value

    If y = -x^2 + 3, what is the largest possible value of y?

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    Scotland
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If y = -x^2 + 3, what is the largest possible value of y?
    Again... differentiate wrt y, set equal to zero, solve for x, and put x value back into original equation!

     \frac{dy}{dx} = -2x = 0
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If y = -x^2 + 3, what is the largest possible value of y?
    Hello Magentarita,

    You are looking for the max value of the parabola with vertex (0, 3). The largest value of y is the y-coordinate of the vertex.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    Mush...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Again... differentiate wrt y, set equal to zero, solve for x, and put x value back into original equation!

     \frac{dy}{dx} = -2x = 0
    Why did you reply using calculus?
    This is an algebra 2 question.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    ok...

    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hello Magentarita,

    You are looking for the max value of the parabola with vertex (0, 3). The largest value of y is the y-coordinate of the vertex.
    So, basically we set x = 0 and simplify, right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. largest
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 30th 2009, 08:37 AM
  2. largest value
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 31st 2008, 05:56 AM
  3. Largest sum
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 3rd 2008, 10:17 PM
  4. Largest possible value?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 30th 2008, 06:26 AM
  5. which one is largest
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 1st 2005, 05:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum