Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - Word problem...STUMPED!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9

    Word problem...STUMPED!

    my teacher gave me this but i feel that there isnt enough information, though she says its do-able. extra credit for my almost failing math grade. so please help me


    Mike and Tony, went shopping for floor tiles at a tile shop the other day. The floor tiles were on sale for only $28 each.

    However, they got it in her head that, the total amount of dollars they must spend must be a number where all of the digits are the same.

    With that in mind, what is the minimum number of tiles she must buy?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbGenius View Post
    my teacher gave me this but i feel that there isnt enough information, though she says its do-able. extra credit for my almost failing math grade. so please help me


    Mike and Tony, went shopping for floor tiles at a tile shop the other day. The floor tiles were on sale for only $28 each.

    However, they got it in her head that, the total amount of dollars they must spend must be a number where all of the digits are the same.

    With that in mind, what is the minimum number of tiles she must buy?
    1 tile: 28
    2 tiles: 56
    3 tiles: 84
    4 tiles: 108
    5 tiles: 136

    keep going until you reach a price with matching digits...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    1 tile: 28
    2 tiles: 56
    3 tiles: 84
    4 tiles: 108
    5 tiles: 136

    keep going until you reach a price with matching digits...
    TY very much i will quickly do this and add a +rep to your status
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbGenius View Post
    TY very much i will quickly do this and add a +rep to your status
    to tell you the truth, you need to post one more time for a +rep to count for anything.

    If you wish to speed up the process you should look at prices 111, 222, 333, etc... and see which one is divisible by 28
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member OReilly's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    340
    Correct answer is (I think ) 444444.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor Quick's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    New England
    Posts
    1,024
    Quote Originally Posted by OReilly View Post
    Correct answer is (I think ) 444444.
    remember: the question is asking for how many tiles, not the price. (just something I would like to point out, since I do mistakes like that quite often)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member OReilly's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick View Post
    remember: the question is asking for how many tiles, not the price. (just something I would like to point out, since I do mistakes like that quite often)
    Sorry, you are right.

    Well, total amount of dollars is 444444 and total number of tiles are 15873.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9
    yea ive been at this for a while but i'll take a look at it again.
    so it has to be divisible by 28, ty
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9
    i'll shall be back in a couple days with another one cause this is theonly way i can pass this stupid class. thank god she gave me an alternative and thank god i found this place and you guys
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    From
    Reading, MA
    Posts
    5
    Yes, the correct answer is 15873 tiles that cost a total of $444,444
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Strange Problem has me stumped
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 23rd 2010, 02:49 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 10th 2010, 06:15 AM
  3. Easy word problem has me stumped.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 29th 2008, 10:38 AM
  4. Easy word problem has me stumped
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 29th 2008, 07:51 AM
  5. Stumped by an optimization problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 9th 2006, 01:02 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum