Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - find real solutions for equation

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517

    find real solutions for equation

    hi guys have problems with this question
    find real solutions for:

    <br />
x^2 - 2x - 48 = 0<br />

    i tryed using quadratic but it ends up being a square root minus which is ERROR?

    any help? cheers
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    hi guys have problems with this question
    find real solutions for:

    <br />
x^2 - 2x - 48 = 0<br />

    i tryed using quadratic but it ends up being a square root minus which is ERROR?

    any help? cheers
    The quadratic formula is unnecessary since x^2 - 2x - 48 = (x - 8)(x + 6) \, ....

    Note: Without seeing your working it's impossible to know what mistake(s) you've made in applying the quadratic formula. At a guess, I'd say you found the discriminant to be either 4 - 4(48) = -188 or -4 - 4(48) = -196 ...... both are wrong. It's (-2)^2 - 4(-48) = 4 - 4(-48) = 196.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    The quadratic formula is unnecessary since x^2 - 2x - 48 = (x - 8)(x + 6) \, ....

    Note: Without seeing your working it's impossible to know what mistake(s) you've made in applying the quadratic formula. At a guess, I'd say you found the discriminant to be either 4 - 4(48) = -188 or -4 - 4(48) = -196 ...... both are wrong. It's (-2)^2 - 4(-48) = 4 - 4(-48) = 196.
    i get ya. so the answer would be

    x = 8 , x = -6 ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    i get ya. so the answer would be

    x = 8 , x = -6 ?
    Yes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. find all real solutions to an equation
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 14th 2009, 08:35 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 1st 2009, 01:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 1st 2009, 01:16 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 1st 2009, 01:14 PM
  5. Find all real solutions to the equation.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 1st 2009, 01:11 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum