Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Trouble with a simultaneous equation

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    88

    Trouble with a simultaneous equation

    I'm having trouble with this. I could swear everything is done right, but then I get to the end and substitute in the values to the original formulas and they don't come out correctly.
    Please help =[
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble with a simultaneous equation-simequs.jpg  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Naur View Post
    I'm having trouble with this. I could swear everything is done right, but then I get to the end and substitute in the values to the original formulas and they don't come out correctly.
    Please help =[
    haha, what you wrote is kind of confusing.

    are your two equations

    5 = p(q - 1) ...............(1)
    12.5 = p(q^2 - 1) ..........(2)

    if so, what you did is overkill. note that q^2 - 1 is the difference of two squares. so,

    12.5 = p(q - 1)(q + 1)

    wait! what's this?!

    12.5 = {\color{red}p(q - 1)}(q + 1)

    now where have i seen that before?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    88
    Holy tits, you're a genius.
    Sorry, yes, they're my two equations.
    p(q-1) turns out to be equation 1, which equals 5, so q = (12.5/5)-1, etc, and you're correct!

    But, if you don't mind, I'd still like to know what I did wrong originally.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Naur View Post
    Holy tits, you're a genius.
    Sorry, yes, they're my two equations.
    p(q-1) turns out to be equation 1, which equals 5, so q = (12.5/5)-1, etc, and you're correct!

    But, if you don't mind, I'd still like to know what I did wrong originally.
    you made a classic mistake. but of course, it drives math nuts...well, nuts.

    you pulled a (x + y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 thing. that is WRONG! and yes, infuriating

    (x + y)^2 = (x + y)(x + y) = x^2 + 2xy + y^2

    where did you do this? you wrote \bigg(\frac 5p + 1 \bigg)^2 = \frac {25}{p^2} + 1. that is wrong

    \bigg( \frac 5p + 1 \bigg)^2 = \frac {25}{p^2} + \frac {10}p + 1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    88
    Oh yes, that one. I learnt not to make that mistake only a little while ago, but then the fraction threw me off.
    Thanks very much. I'll watch out for that one in the future...hopefully.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Naur View Post
    Oh yes, that one. I learnt not to make that mistake only a little while ago, but then the fraction threw me off.
    Thanks very much. I'll watch out for that one in the future...hopefully.
    yes, watch out for it. to help you remember, just know that you will be hurting Jhevon if you make that mistake again
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    88
    Oh god no, I'll pay extra attention to it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Need help on a simultaneous equation...
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 6th 2011, 11:43 AM
  2. Is this simultaneous equation possible?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 17th 2010, 07:12 AM
  3. Simultaneous Equation trouble
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 8th 2009, 03:53 PM
  4. simultaneous equation
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 18th 2009, 06:26 PM
  5. simultaneous equation
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 1st 2009, 07:09 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum