Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Using an algebraic method to determine... (simultaneous equations???)

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14

    Using an algebraic method to determine... (simultaneous equations???)

    Hi I think I've figured out question 1, but I don't know how to start question 2.

    This is the first question, and how I answered it:

    Two transport companies advertise their rates for the cost of a trip:

    Blue Taxis: Flagfall = $2.50 and Cost per km = $1.50 per km
    Red Taxis: Flagfall = $1.25 and Cost per km= $2.25 per km

    Using an algebraic method, develop a linear function for the cost (y) of a trip of distance x km for each company. Show the strategies used to find each of your equations.

    My answer:

    Using y=mx+c

    Blue Taxis
    m=cost per km (y-intercept)
    c=flagfall (constant)

    Given m=1.5, c=2.5

    y=1.5x+2.5

    Red Taxis
    m=cost per km (y-intercept)
    c=flagfall (constant)

    Given m= 2.25, c= 1.25

    y=2.25x+1.25

    Firstly, is that right?

    This is the question I need help on:

    Using an algebraic method involving your equations from question 1 determine at what distance the cost to the customer would be the same for both companies. WHat is that cost?

    Please help me through this step by step and explain what you're doing Thankyou.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    528
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bemypenguinxx View Post
    Hi I think I've figured out question 1, but I don't know how to start question 2

    This is the first question, and how I answered it:
    Two transport companies advertise their rates for the cost of a trip:

    Blue Taxis: Flagfall = $2.50 and Cost per km = $1.50 per km
    Red Taxis: Flagfall = $1.25 and Cost per km= $2.25 per km

    Using an algebraic method, develop a linear function for the cost (y) of a trip of distance x km for each company. Show the strategies used to find each of your equations.

    My answer:

    Using y=mx+c

    Blue Taxis
    m=cost per km (y-intercept)
    c=flagfall (constant)

    Given m=1.5, c=2.5
    ]y=1.5x+2.5

    Red Taxis
    m=cost per km (y-intercept)
    c=flagfall (constant)

    Given m= 2.25, c= 1.25

    y=2.25x+1.25

    Firstly, is that right?
    Yes, it is correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by bemypenguinxx View Post
    This is the question I need help on:

    Using an algebraic method involving your equations from question 1 determine at what distance the cost to the customer would be the same for both companies. WHat is that cost?

    Please help me through this step by step and explain what you're doing Thankyou.
    Ther are saying at which point cost will be the same. Cost is your y variable so equate it.

    \textcolor{blue}{\text{Blue}} \rightarrow y=1.5x+2.5
    \textcolor{red}{\text{Red}} \rightarrow y=2.25x+1.25

    y variable are equal so...

    1.5x+2.5 = 2.25x+1.25

    Now solve for x to get the distance in km at which the cost will be the same. After you find x (the distance), substitute back into the original equation (any, Blue or Red equation that you found earlier) to get the cost.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14
    Thankyou soo much! I think I've got it - can you check?

    Blue taxis: y= 1.5x+2.5
    Red taxis: y= 2.25x+1.25

    1.5x+2.5 = 2.25x+1.25

    Using graphics calculator to solve for x

    *screenshot of graph*

    y=5, x=1.67

    *the x= should be an approximate equals sign)

    The distance at which the cost will be the same for the two taxi companies (x) is approximately $1.67

    Substitute x back into an original equation to find the cost of trip

    Blue taxis:
    1.5x+2.5=y
    (1.5x1.67)+2.5=y
    =5.01
    (again, approximate equals sign same for equation below)

    Verify using equation for red taxis

    Red taxis:
    2.25x+1.25=y
    (2.25x1.67)+1.25=y
    =5.01

    Is that right, or if not am I on the right track? I'm using the TI-84 graphics calculator and got the y and x values by graphing them and going to 2nd-calc-5:intersect which gave me the values from the graph of the two lines. the x was 1.6666667 and y was 5

    because i rounded it to 1.67 and used that number for my equations, instead of the more precise answer of 1.6666667 is my answer wrong? sorry if that dosen't make sense. if that does make the answer wrong, is there a way i can insert that value into my equation when solving it in my calculator?

    sorry if that question was a bit vague. thanks for your help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    528
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by bemypenguinxx View Post
    Blue taxis:
    1.5x+2.5=y
    (1.5x1.67)+2.5=y
    =5.01
    (again, approximate equals sign same for equation below)

    Verify using equation for red taxis

    Red taxis:
    2.25x+1.25=y
    (2.25x1.67)+1.25=y
    =5.01

    Is that right, or if not am I on the right track? I'm using the TI-84 graphics calculator and got the y and x values by graphing them and going to 2nd-calc-5:intersect which gave me the values from the graph of the two lines. the x was 1.6666667 and y was 5

    because i rounded it to 1.67 and used that number for my equations, instead of the more precise answer of 1.6666667 is my answer wrong? sorry if that dosen't make sense. if that does make the answer wrong, is there a way i can insert that value into my equation when solving it in my calculator?

    sorry if that question was a bit vague. thanks for your help
    Yes, it is correct.

    Keep the accurate answer of y=5 when $ 1.67. Keeping y=5 shows you have used the full value of x = 1.666... and it shows that you have rounded correctly after calculation to appropriate significant figures.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    14
    Yay thank you so much - I'll be sure to come on here tomorrow for further help


    Thaaaank youu!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 29th 2011, 03:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 21st 2011, 05:17 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 25th 2010, 10:12 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 7th 2009, 09:36 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 27th 2009, 09:31 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum