Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Another..AlgebraII-Help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38

    Another..AlgebraII-Help

    Carl was running an experiment in his physics class. He was observing the amount of water that remained in a cylinder after a small hole was made in the bottom. Carl collected the following data.

    Time (in sec.) Volume (in Liters)
    20 15.15
    25 14.05
    40 11.20
    50 9.63
    60 8.28
    75 6.60
    80 6.11
    100 4.52


    a.) find the model for the data


    b.)estimate the amonf of water remaining after 3 minutes







    Thanks for the Help :]
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ep78 View Post
    Carl was running an experiment in his physics class. He was observing the amount of water that remained in a cylinder after a small hole was made in the bottom. Carl collected the following data.

    Time (in sec.) Volume (in Liters)
    20 15.15
    25 14.05
    40 11.20
    50 9.63
    60 8.28
    75 6.60
    80 6.11
    100 4.52


    a.) find the model for the data


    b.)estimate the amonf of water remaining after 3 minutes







    Thanks for the Help :]
    Here again, I uses a TI-84+ calculator to plot the bivariate data into a scatter plot. The plot seemed linear, so I performed a linear regession analysis and came up with this equation:

    y=-.1347632184x+17.02293103

    with a correlation coefficient of .9854

    When x=180, y= -7.2 (already empty)

    As near as I can tell, the cylinder went empty somewhere between 126 seconds and 127 seconds.

    Ignore this post. Read the next one!
    Last edited by masters; August 17th 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ep78 View Post
    Carl was running an experiment in his physics class. He was observing the amount of water that remained in a cylinder after a small hole was made in the bottom. Carl collected the following data.

    Time (in sec.) Volume (in Liters)
    20 15.15
    25 14.05
    40 11.20
    50 9.63
    60 8.28
    75 6.60
    80 6.11
    100 4.52


    a.) find the model for the data


    b.)estimate the amonf of water remaining after 3 minutes







    Thanks for the Help :]
    Ok, hold everything. After looking closer at the plot, it seems that an exponential regession model works better with this equation:

    y=20.50690223(.984990842)^x

    with a correlation coefficient of .999999

    Prediction of capacity after 180 seconds (3 minutes) = 1.348015 liters
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38
    oh okay..i don't understand what the correlation coefficient of .999999 is..or why you use it..?

    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Ok, hold everything. After looking closer at the plot, it seems that an exponential regession model works better with this equation:

    y=20.50690223(.984990842)^x

    with a correlation coefficient of .999999

    Prediction of capacity after 180 seconds (3 minutes) = 1.348015 liters
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    38
    sorry forget that question..i have a different one..i understand how to get the first equation that you gave me, but the second one..not so sure..cuz on the first one i picked points to get the slope..but i don't think you do that for the other one you gave me..right?

    Quote Originally Posted by ep78 View Post
    oh okay..i don't understand what the correlation coefficient of .999999 is..or why you use it..?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ep78 View Post
    sorry forget that question..i have a different one..i understand how to get the first equation that you gave me, but the second one..not so sure..cuz on the first one i picked points to get the slope..but i don't think you do that for the other one you gave me..right?
    The correlation coefficient, r, is .9999993314 which places the correlation into the "strong" category. (0.8 or greater is a "strong" correlation)
    The coefficient of determination, r 2, is .9999986628 which means that 99.9% of the total variation in y can be explained by the relationship between x and y. Yes, it is a very "good fit".

    You can use the slopes to determine a relationship and a line of best fit if the data is linear. The data in the second exercise was not linear. It followed an exponential curve. You would need some tool (statistics/graphing calculator) to complete this analysis. The algebra involved would be messy by hand.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. AlgebraII Help, Please Give Some Advice
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 18th 2011, 09:15 PM
  2. AlgebraII Word Problem-Help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 14th 2008, 04:39 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum