Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Word Problem Help...

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7

    Word Problem Help...

    [Problem 1]

    the instructer of an introductory computer course wants to make a wall chart of a computer desktop for her students. To make it as realistic as possible, she would like the desktop icons to be proportional to the size of her 6' x 6' chart. If the icons on her 15" x 15" PC screen are 3/8" x 3/8", how large should they be on her wall chart?

    (Show your work)



    [Problem 2]

    In her morning class, the computer teacher has 20 students, 8 of whom are women and 12 of whom are men. If her afternoon class has 30 students, how many of them must be women so that both classes have the same ration of women to men?

    (Show your work)



    [Problem 3]

    The instructor has learned that for 30 students in her afternoon class, the ration of students who do not own a computer to those who do is 2 to 1. How many students in the class own thei own computer?

    (Show your work)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnoranceIsBliss View Post
    [Problem 1]

    the instructer of an introductory computer course wants to make a wall chart of a computer desktop for her students. To make it as realistic as possible, she would like the desktop icons to be proportional to the size of her 6' x 6' chart. If the icons on her 15" x 15" PC screen are 3/8" x 3/8", how large should they be on her wall chart?

    (Show your work)
    Find the scale factor of the icons on the PC screen to the size of the screen:

    S. \ \ F.=\frac{\frac{3}{8}}{15}=\frac{1}{40}

    So, the icons on the wall chart will be

    \frac{1}{40}\cdot72=1.8 inches square.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnoranceIsBliss View Post
    [Problem 2]

    In her morning class, the computer teacher has 20 students, 8 of whom are women and 12 of whom are men. If her afternoon class has 30 students, how many of them must be women so that both classes have the same ration of women to men?

    (Show your work)
    Morning Class (20 students: 8 women, 12 men)

    Ratio of women to total = 8/20 = 2/5

    Ratio of men to total = 12/20 = 3/5

    Afternoon Class (30 students)

    Ratio of women to total must be 2/5, so 2/5(30)= 12 women.

    Ratio of men to total must be 3/5. so 3/5(30) = 18 men.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by IgnoranceIsBliss View Post

    [Problem 3]

    The instructor has learned that for 30 students in her afternoon class, the ration of students who do not own a computer to those who do is 2 to 1. How many students in the class own thei own computer?

    (Show your work)
    Let's set up a ratio showing those who don't and those who do own a computer.

    \frac{don't}{do}=\frac{2}{1}

    This ratio shows 2 parts that don't, 1 part that does and 3 total parts.

    This means that 2 out of 3 don't own a computer which is 2/3(30) = 20

    and 1 out of 3 do own a computer which is 1/3(30) = 10
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. word problem - the snow plough problem?
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th 2011, 01:02 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 2nd 2011, 08:20 PM
  3. 1 Word problem and 1 function problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 21st 2010, 08:01 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 10th 2009, 05:49 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum