Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - solving for a letter with expononets

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1

    solving for a letter with expononets

    Hi

    I have to solve for the letter x, heres the equation:

    Z=A(1+x) raised to 1/2

    how do i deal with the 1/2 exponent?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by maldous View Post
    Hi

    I have to solve for the letter x, heres the equation:

    Z=A(1+x) raised to 1/2

    how do i deal with the 1/2 exponent?
    Use this rule :

    (a^b)^c=a^{bc}

    So here, b=1/2. Find c such that this equation simplifies.

    For example, c=2.
    This will give :

    Z^2=\left([A(1+x)]^{1/2} \right)^2

    Z^2=[A(1+x)]^1=A(1+x)

    Can you continue ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Hello,



    Use this rule :

    (a^b)^c=a^{bc}

    So here, b=1/2. Find c such that this equation simplifies.

    For example, c=2.
    This will give :

    Z^2=\left([A(1+x)]^{1/2} \right)^2

    Z^2=[A(1+x)]^1=A(1+x)

    Can you continue ?
    Or is it this:

    Z=A(1+x)^\frac{1}{2}

    \frac{Z}{A}=\left(1+x\right)^\frac{1}{2}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Or is it this:

    Z=A(1+x)^\frac{1}{2}

    \frac{Z}{A}=\left(1+x\right)^\frac{1}{2}
    Yeah, it could be

    But the reasoning is the same
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Yeah, it could be

    But the reasoning is the same
    I love the

    I can just hear the "Na na Na na Na na !!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    I love the

    I can just hear the "Na na Na na Na na !!
    It was the purpose of it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. solving letter only equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 31st 2009, 10:31 PM
  2. Letter placement
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 2nd 2009, 03:21 PM
  3. Which letter comes next?
    Posted in the Math Puzzles Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 4th 2009, 11:54 AM
  4. Different Six-letter Arrangements
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 14th 2008, 08:54 AM
  5. Solving for an indicated letter.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd 2008, 11:33 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum