Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Box-and Whisker Problem

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7

    Exclamation Box-and Whisker Problem

    I have a file of the box and whisker problem in a pdf format. Thank you so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    From
    Westwood, Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    1
    In a box and whisker plot, the plot extends from the lowest to the highest values - the horizontal line goes from minimum to maximum. Remember that the range of data is simply the maximum less the minimum.

    The three vertical lines (the two that compose the ends of the "box" and the one inside the box) represent the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentile (reading from left to right). The 25th percentile, for example, divides the data into two pieces - to the left of the line is 25% of the data, to the right of the line is the other 75%.

    Now, remember that the median value in a set of data is always the number that divides the data into two equal sets, i.e., 50% of the data is below the median, 50% of the median is above the data. So, really, the median is the same as the 50th percentile, which is the vertical line inside the box.

    Hope this helps!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. box-whisker analysis
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 28th 2012, 04:51 PM
  2. Can someone check my box and whisker plot for me
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 22nd 2010, 09:47 PM
  3. PLEASE HELP Box and Whisker Plots
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 11th 2009, 07:39 PM
  4. Interpreting box and whisker plots...
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 9th 2009, 05:58 AM
  5. Whisker plot......
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 2nd 2007, 09:20 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum