Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Two questions Help please

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    Two questions Help please

    I think that I have the correct answer but it just seem so simple could someone double check me please. What is the perimeter of a triangle whose sides are the length of 4x,4x+7, and x=

    Thank you in advance


    The other question I need to right an equation and find the solution to the problem you have three buildings with the total height of 1800 ft. Building 1 is 4 times higher than building 2 and building 3 is 300ft higher than building 2. So I need the equation I would use to solve the problem


    Please help thanks again anyone.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shannond View Post
    I think that I have the correct answer but it just seem so simple could someone double check me please. What is the perimeter of a triangle whose sides are the length of 4x,4x+7, and x
    the perimeter is the sum of all the sides
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shannond View Post
    The other question I need to right an equation and find the solution to the problem you have three buildings with the total height of 1800 ft. Building 1 is 4 times higher than building 2 and building 3 is 300ft higher than building 2. So I need the equation I would use to solve the problem
    Let the length of building 2 be x

    then the length og building 1 is 4x

    and the length of building 3 is x + 300

    now can you set up an equation?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    thank you One other thing

    I had X= building one
    x times 4 equals building 2
    x+300 = building 3


    So
    x+(x4)+(x+300)=1800 feet
    I tried combinding like terms to solve Can you tell me if I'm on the right track

    3x+300 x 4=1800
    minus 300 from both sides divid by 4 then by 3 but I get 125

    the buildings should be
    1=250 2=1000 3=550

    I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shannond View Post
    I had X= building one
    x times 4 equals building 2
    x+300 = building 3


    So
    x+(x4)+(x+300)=1800 feet
    I tried combinding like terms to solve Can you tell me if I'm on the right track

    3x+300 x 4=1800
    minus 300 from both sides divid by 4 then by 3 but I get 125

    the buildings should be
    1=250 2=1000 3=550

    I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong
    i don't understand what you did in the line i highlighted red

    your x should represent building 2 not 1, you are reading things backwards.

    anyway, we have:

    x + 4x + 300 + x = 1800

    => 6x + 300 = 1800

    => 6x = 1500

    => x = 250

    Thus, building 1 = 1000, building 2 = 250, building 3 = 550
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6

    thank you

    I feel like an idiot I new I was on the right track but I kept staring at the problem and couldn't figure out what it was I was doing wrong. You have been a great help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by shannond View Post
    I feel like an idiot I new I was on the right track but I kept staring at the problem and couldn't figure out what it was I was doing wrong. You have been a great help
    You're welcome.

    Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. More log questions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 31st 2010, 04:58 PM
  2. Please someone help me with just 2 questions?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 4th 2009, 04:55 AM
  3. Some Questions !
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 3rd 2009, 03:09 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 19th 2008, 07:18 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 1st 2005, 01:53 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum