Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - What does this vector expression mean

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    What does this vector expression mean

    Hi,

    I have attached image because I do not know how to type math symbols on this site.

    Anyway, I am studying game theory and the topic is transereable utility games in coalitional form.

    Note that the professor says, that an additive game is determined by a vector a is element of a set of real numbers to the power of N. I am sure the superscript is to denote the size of vector a, am I right?

    I want to know what he means by that expression. Does he mean that "a" is a tuple of size N (N is the number of players in the game) where each element comes from the set of real numbers?



    I have looked on wikipedia. Wiki explains the other vectors but not this kinda notation of vectors.

    Thanks is advance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Lord of certain Rings
    Isomorphism's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    IISc, Bangalore
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by hasinque View Post
    Anyway, I am studying game theory and the topic is transereable utility games in coalitional form.
    Whats that?

    Quote Originally Posted by hasinque View Post
    Note that the professor says, that an additive game is determined by a vector a is element of a set of real numbers to the power of N. I am sure the superscript is to denote the size of vector a, am I right?

    I want to know what he means by that expression. Does he mean that "a" is a tuple of size N (N is the number of players in the game) where each element comes from the set of real numbers?
    Yes,you are right about the notation, though I dont know anything about the subject you are talking about

    P.S: Was it like this : a \in \mathbb{R}^n ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3
    Yes Matt, it is the same, just look at the picture I posted. Exactly the same notation. so what does it mean PRECISELY?

    Transefereable utility game in coalitional form: transefereable utility means that the pay offs are the same for every person/agent and that anyone can transfer it to anyone he wants.

    In coalitional form means that groups of people/agents can achieve higher pay-offs (in terms of money and anything u can imagine) by co-operation.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Lord of certain Rings
    Isomorphism's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    IISc, Bangalore
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by hasinque View Post
    Yes Matt, it is the same, just look at the picture I posted. Exactly the same notation. so what does it mean PRECISELY?
    Exactly like you said. It means 'a' is an n-tuple, with each co-ordinate being real. What else do you want to know about it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3
    Thanks!

    Hmm, now something that I want to know out of my own interest. Suppose we have vector

    a = (1, 2, 3, 10, 55, 77, 100)

    Is this the 7-dimensional vector?

    Is it true that the graph of this vector is impossible to draw because we cannot visualize 7 dimensions?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Lord of certain Rings
    Isomorphism's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    IISc, Bangalore
    Posts
    1,465
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by hasinque View Post
    Thanks!

    Hmm, now something that I want to know out of my own interest. Suppose we have vector

    a = (1, 2, 3, 10, 55, 77, 100)

    Is this the 7-dimensional vector?

    Is it true that the graph of this vector is impossible to draw because we cannot visualize 7 dimensions?
    Yes
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: January 15th 2012, 10:30 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 6th 2011, 02:48 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 11th 2011, 11:17 AM
  4. Simplify each vector expression.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 9th 2010, 09:51 PM
  5. [SOLVED] expression for unit vector
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 1st 2009, 09:02 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum