Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Break even question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    21

    Break even question

    A student a ski trip over March Break determined that his break even point(zero profit) accours if he can sell ski packages to 12 students. he also knows that when he sells 16 ski packages he will maxmize his profit at $2000.

    a. Asume that relation for his profit is quadratic.
    b.Determine the algebric expression in standard form that models his profit.
    c. what is his profit if he sells 18 packages?
    d. how many student were on trip if his profit is $875?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,829
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by usm_67
    A student a ski trip over March Break determined that his break even point(zero profit) accours if he can sell ski packages to 12 students. he also knows that when he sells 16 ski packages he will maxmize his profit at 2000.
    ...
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by usm_67
    a. Asume that relation for his profit is quadratic.
    Let be x = number of students (keep in mind that this x must be a natural number because 1.5 students are quite a funny sight)
    Let be p(x) = profit with respect to the number of students.
    Then p(x)=ax^2+bx+c is the quadratic equation you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by usm_67
    b.Determine the algebric expression in standard form that models his profit.
    If he sells 0 (zero) packages to 0 (zero) students his profit will be zero (0). So the c of the quadratic equation becomes zero (0):
    p(x)=ax^2+bx
    Now plug in the values you know. You'll get 2 linear equations:
    0 = a*144+b*12
    2000=a*256+b*16
    Solve for a and b and you'll get: a = 31.25 and b = -375

    Quote Originally Posted by usm_67
    c. what is his profit if he sells 18 packages?
    Plug in 18 for x:
    p(18)=31.25\cdot (18)^2-375 \cdot 18=3375

    Quote Originally Posted by usm_67
    d. how many student were on trip if his profit is $875?
    Plug in 875 for p(x):

    875=31.25\cdot x^2-375 \cdot x This is a quadratic equation in x. Solve for x and you'll get:
    x = 14 or x = -2.

    (The (-2) students are the missing ones, which will appear in July when the snow has melted away)

    Greetings

    EB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 27th 2010, 12:22 PM
  2. Break even
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 12th 2010, 03:52 AM
  3. how to break it into dx and dy
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 13th 2009, 11:56 PM
  4. Can someone please break this down for me?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 6th 2008, 08:51 PM
  5. break even help
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 21st 2007, 07:51 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum