Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: please answer

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    19

    Question please answer

    why X^0=1
    EXPLAIN
    thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacewanters007 View Post
    why X^0=1
    EXPLAIN
    thanks
    it is an axiom, so it is really by convention for lack of a better word. but, the axiom makes sense. maybe this will help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,127
    Thanks
    721
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    it is an axiom, so it is really by convention for lack of a better word. but, the axiom makes sense. maybe this will help
    As there is a way to derive it using the laws of exponents I wouldn't call it an axiom.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    As there is a way to derive it using the laws of exponents I wouldn't call it an axiom.

    -Dan
    the site i gave called it an axiom, so i just went along with it.

    how would you derive it? the same way the site shows?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Well,there is a mathematical prove but I didn't see it here.
    a$\displaystyle ^b$:a$\displaystyle ^b$=a$\displaystyle ^b$$\displaystyle ^-$$\displaystyle ^b$=a$\displaystyle ^0$
    The result of dividing two numbers that are the same is 1,so a$\displaystyle ^b$:a$\displaystyle ^b$=1 That's why a$\displaystyle ^0$=1 but there is a rule when a is 0. 0$\displaystyle ^0$ and 0$\displaystyle ^b$ where b is a negative number aren't defined and it is better to leave them instead writing a number because it can be an error.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    126
    Basically:

    When you divide a number by itself, each with their own exponent, you subtract the exponent (to simplify it) ; example 6^5/6^3 = 6^2 ....

    OK, so if you get that, then do: 6^5/6^5 .... It equals 6^0 correct? Because you subtract the exponent 5's to get the exponent zero.
    But what does dividing any number by itself give you? IT gives you 1, therefore, a^b/a^b=a^0=1
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by brainmixer View Post
    Well,there is a mathematical prove but I didn't see it here.
    a$\displaystyle ^b$:a$\displaystyle ^b$=a$\displaystyle ^b$$\displaystyle ^-$$\displaystyle ^b$=a$\displaystyle ^0$
    The result of dividing two numbers that are the same is 1,so a$\displaystyle ^b$:a$\displaystyle ^b$=1 That's why a$\displaystyle ^0$=1 but there is a rule when a is 0. 0$\displaystyle ^0$ and 0$\displaystyle ^b$ where b is a negative number aren't defined and it is better to leave them instead writing a number because it can be an error.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
    Basically:

    When you divide a number by itself, each with their own exponent, you subtract the exponent (to simplify it) ; example 6^5/6^3 = 6^2 ....

    OK, so if you get that, then do: 6^5/6^5 .... It equals 6^0 correct? Because you subtract the exponent 5's to get the exponent zero.
    But what does dividing any number by itself give you? IT gives you 1, therefore, a^b/a^b=a^0=1
    yes, i see. i just thought maybe there was something more... elegant
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    126
    Well, I guess if that property (as I have described) had not been discovered or pieced together by someone, then we'd be looking at a^0 similar to the way that we look at a/0 ... With absolute chaos and infinite impossiblity... If you really think about it... So it has to be something simple like this to solve for anything to exponent zero .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    131
    $\displaystyle 0^0 $ is really just another way to write $\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}$


    $\displaystyle k^0 = k^{n - n} = k^n k^{ - n} = \frac{{k^n }}
    {{k^n }} = 1$, $\displaystyle k \ne 0$

    for $\displaystyle k=0$: $\displaystyle \frac{{0^n }}{{0^n }} = \frac{0}{0}$


    and we all know that anything divided by 0 is undefined, let alone $\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}$.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    lil50
    Guest
    whatz 4x4
    Last edited by lil50; Feb 21st 2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: what is it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    126
    is that a joke question orrr? (no offence if it is...)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,127
    Thanks
    721
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lil50 View Post
    whatz 4x4
    Please post new questions in a new thread.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 3rd 2013, 07:17 PM
  2. Converting my answer into the books answer
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 10th 2011, 02:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 4th 2010, 04:46 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 6th 2008, 03:18 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum