Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By TKHunny
  • 1 Post By DenisB

Thread: Gilligan & Skipper

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Gilligan & Skipper

    Working, independently Gilligan takes 12 hours to finish a certain work. He finishes 2/3 of the work. The rest of the work is finished by Skipper whose rate is 1/10 of Gilligan. In how much time does Skipper finish his work?

    My Effort:

    Gilligan takes 12 hours to complete the job. This tells me that he does (1/12) of the job per hour.

    Gilligan finishes 2/3 of the job. This tells me that 1/3 of the job remains to be done.

    Skipper completes the rest of Gilligan's work. This tell me that Skipper completes (1/10)(1/12) or 1/120 of the rest of the work.

    Is this right? If it is right, I did it without algebra. However, I would like to know if there is an equation set for this problem.
    Last edited by harpazo; Feb 26th 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    USA
    Posts
    3,150
    Thanks
    37

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    Gilligan finishes 2/3 of the job. This tells me that 1/3 of the job remains to be done.

    Skipper completes the rest of Gilligan's work. This tell me that Skipper completes (1/10)(1/12) or 1/120 of the rest of the work.
    Why would Skipper complete 1/120 of the work when there was 1/3 to do? Who does the rest?

    After Gilligan quits, and leaves 1/3 of the task, there is no more need to refer to Gilligan's rate.

    Try again.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by TKHunny View Post
    Why would Skipper complete 1/120 of the work when there was 1/3 to do? Who does the rest?

    After Gilligan quits, and leaves 1/3 of the task, there is no more need to refer to Gilligan's rate.

    Try again.
    If Skipper completes 1/120 of the work in 1 hour, then he will do the work in 1/3 of 40 hours. Right?
    Last edited by harpazo; Feb 26th 2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,244
    Thanks
    495

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    Working independently, Gilligan takes 12 hours to finish a certain work. He finishes 2/3 of the work. The rest of the work is finished by Skipper whose rate is 1/10 of Gilligan. In how much time does Skipper finish his work?
    To "understand" what's going on, try this:
    Pretend the "work" is travelling 60 miles.
    So Gilligan travels 40 miles, then Skipper travels 20 miles.
    Gilligan travelled the 40 miles in 8 hours, so speed is 5 mph.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by DenisB View Post
    To "understand" what's going on, try this:
    Pretend the "work" is travelling 60 miles.
    So Gilligan travels 40 miles, then Skipper travels 20 miles.
    Gilligan travelled the 40 miles in 8 hours, so speed is 5 mph.
    My answer is correct, right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,244
    Thanks
    495

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    My answer is correct, right?
    No.
    Skipper takes 40 hours.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Gilligan & Skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by DenisB View Post
    No.
    Skipper takes 40 hours.
    Ok. The Skipper is a hard working man.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum