Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Cervesa
  • 1 Post By Debsta

Thread: Straight Pipe

  1. #1
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Straight Pipe

    A straight pipe 1 yard in length was marked off in fourths and also in thirds. If the pipe was then cut into separate pieces at each of these markings, list the different lengths of the pieces in fractions of a yard.

    1 - 1/3 = 2/3

    1 - 1/4 = 3/4

    [(1/3) + (1/4)] = 7/12

    1 - 7/12 = 1/2

    Thus far, the five markings on the pipe are
    1/3, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4.

    I am stuck here.
    Last edited by harpazo; Feb 2nd 2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member Cervesa's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    From
    USA
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    66

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Cuts at 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 of pipe length or make a sketch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Straight Pipe-pipe_cut.jpg  
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Cervesa View Post
    Cuts at 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 of pipe length or make a sketch
    1. I cannot see the picture you posted.

    2. What are the steps that follow my math work?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,255
    Thanks
    500

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    1. I cannot see the picture you posted.
    Did you click on it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,241
    Thanks
    459

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by harpazo View Post
    A straight pipe 1 yard in length was marked off in fourths and also in thirds. If the pipe was then cut into separate pieces at each of these markings, list the different lengths of the pieces in fractions of a yard.

    1 - 1/3 = 2/3

    1 - 1/4 = 3/4

    [(1/3) + (1/4)] = 7/12

    1 - 7/12 = 1/2

    Thus far, the five markings on the pipe are
    1/3, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4.

    I am stuck here.
    Righto! Your fractions are correct.

    Now draw a line representing 1 yard (36 inches). (I'd work in inches to save working with fractions.)


    Use your fractions to calculate where the cuts are. For example, the cut 1/3 of the way along will be at the 12 inch mark (1/3 of 36 inches = 12 inches).


    Mark in the position of all of the cuts and then work out how long each section is. If you do it this way, your answer will be in inches. You will need to convert these to fractions of a yard (because the question asks for that). Note that 1 in = 1/36 yard.
    Thanks from harpazo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by DenisB View Post
    Did you click on it?
    I do not have a computer or laptop. All my work is done using my SAMSUNG cell phone. I clicked on the picture but it enlarges beyond my cell's screen size.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member harpazo's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    995
    Thanks
    42

    Re: Straight Pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Debsta View Post
    Righto! Your fractions are correct.

    Now draw a line representing 1 yard (36 inches). (I'd work in inches to save working with fractions.)


    Use your fractions to calculate where the cuts are. For example, the cut 1/3 of the way along will be at the 12 inch mark (1/3 of 36 inches = 12 inches).


    Mark in the position of all of the cuts and then work out how long each section is. If you do it this way, your answer will be in inches. You will need to convert these to fractions of a yard (because the question asks for that). Note that 1 in = 1/36 yard.
    Your reply to my questions are for people like me who did not major in math. I thank everyone here but especially you and MarkFL, which BTW, has vanished from this site.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [ASK] Water Pipe
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 28th 2018, 02:43 PM
  2. what is the cheapest way to lay the pipe?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 29th 2012, 02:31 AM
  3. Pipe Filling
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 28th 2011, 09:03 AM
  4. pipe calculations
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 27th 2010, 10:35 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 15th 2010, 11:53 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum