Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Solve for W

  1. #1
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    158

    Solve for W

    Solve for W

    <br />
V=\sqrt{2Lw+w^2}<br />
    My answer was <br />
\Longrightarrow<br />
w=V^2-2L <br />
    But apparently thats wrong according to my teacher.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzMan View Post
    Solve for W

    <br />
V=\sqrt{2Lw+w^2}<br />
    My answer was <br />
\Longrightarrow<br />
w=V^2-2L <br />
    But apparently thats wrong according to my teacher.
    Square both sides of the equation:

    V^2=2Lw + w^2~\iff~w^2 + 2Lw - V^2 = 0

    This is a quadratic equation. Use the formula to solve it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    158
    What do you mean exactly? What I did was square both sides like you said and got  V^2=2Lw+w^2 \Longrightarrow w^2=V^2 - 2Lw
    Then I did  \frac{w^2}{w}=V^2 - \frac{2Lw}{w}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzMan View Post
    What do you mean exactly? What I did was square both sides like you said and got  V^2=2Lw+w^2 \Longrightarrow w^2=V^2 - 2Lw
    Then I did  \frac{w^2}{w}=V^2 - \frac{2Lw}{w}
    Unfortunately you forgot to divide the Vē by w.

    If you have a quadratic equation :

    ax^2+bx+c = 0

    Then this equation has the solutions:

    w = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

    With your problem you have:

    a = 1
    b = -2L
    c = -Vē

    Plug in these terms into the formula to get the solutions.

    (For confirmation only: w = L\pm\sqrt{L^2+V^2}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    158
    Just making sure I did this right
    w=\frac{2L\pm\sqrt{4L^2+4v^2}}{2}
    How did you get  w=L \pm\sqrt{L^2+V^2}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,672
    Thanks
    1618
    Awards
    1
    \sqrt {4L^2  + 4w^2 }  = \sqrt {4\left( {L^2  + w^2 } \right)}  = \sqrt 4 \sqrt {\left( {L^2  + w^2 } \right)} <br />
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    158
    shouldn't it be a -2L instead of 2L? According to the equation w^2+2Lw-V^2=0
    <br />
w=\frac{-2L\pm\sqrt{4L^2+4v^2}}{2}<br />
    So the answer would be <br />
w = -L\pm\sqrt{L^2+V^2}<br />
    Last edited by OzzMan; February 8th 2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzMan View Post
    shouldn't it be a -2L instead of 2L? According to the equation w^2+2Lw-V^2=0
    <br />
w=\frac{-2L\pm\sqrt{4L^2+4v^2}}{2}<br />
    So the answer would be <br />
w = -L\pm\sqrt{L^2+V^2}<br />
    Yes. Good pick-up. Earboth made a small sign error when he substituted for b:

    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    [snip]
    With your problem you have:

    a = 1
    b = -2L
    c = -Vē

    Plug in these terms into the formula to get the solutions.

    (For confirmation only: w = L \pm\sqrt{L^2+V^2}
    Last edited by mr fantastic; February 8th 2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Fixed the color
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. need to solve summation equation to solve sum(x2)
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 16th 2010, 10:29 PM
  2. how do i solve this IVP: y'=y^2 -4
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 24th 2010, 11:14 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 9th 2009, 10:37 PM
  4. how do i solve this?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 2nd 2008, 02:58 PM
  5. how to solve ..
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 2nd 2008, 08:17 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum