Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - What is the EASIEST way to solve this?

  1. #1
    Member Ranger SVO's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    From
    Abilene Tx
    Posts
    90

    What is the EASIEST way to solve this?

    Just what the title says, is there a really easy way to get to the solution for this problem



    Pasting this screen pic on this assessment won't cut it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger SVO
    Just what the title says, is there a really easy way to get to the solution for this problem

    Pasting this screen pic on this assessment won't cut it.
    Hello,

    I don't know if I can show you the easiest way, but with "my way" you get the solution. Maybe this is sufficient(?):

    \frac{2^x + 3}{2^{x-1}}=2.000092 . Expand the nominator to \frac{1}{2} \cdot 2^x and then multiply both sides by the nominator:

    2^x + 3=2.000092 \cdot \frac{1}{2} \cdot 2^x

    2^x + 3=1.000046 \cdot 2^x. Now subtract 2^x on both sides of this equation:

     3=0.000046 \cdot 2^x. After dividing by the coefficint of  2^x you'll get:

    65217.3913 = 2^x. That means:

    x \approx \log_{2}{65217.3913}

    x \approx \frac{\ln{65217.3913}}{\ln{2}} \approx 15.99296911

    Greetings

    EB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member Ranger SVO's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    From
    Abilene Tx
    Posts
    90
    Thats exactly what I was looking for. I kept forgetting to simpyfy the fraction first. ( So I have a new rule: remove denominator whenever possible)

    Thank you
    Last edited by Ranger SVO; April 23rd 2006 at 07:13 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    338
    Awards
    1
    earboth: I'm curious and not trying to pick on you or anything...

    Is the term "nominator" a legitimate term for "numerator"? I've never heard of it before.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark
    earboth: I'm curious and not trying to pick on you or anything...
    Is the term "nominator" a legitimate term for "numerator"? I've never heard of it before.
    -Dan
    Hello,

    of course you are curious - but that's what I am too, otherwise I wouldn't have registered to this forum.

    1. You maybe have noticed that I am not a native speaker of English.

    2. The denominator is called in german "Nenner" what means literally translated "namer". I changed this "namer" into a more Latin form and came up with a brand new word.

    Greetings

    EB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    338
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth
    Hello,

    of course you are curious - but that's what I am too, otherwise I wouldn't have registered to this forum.

    1. You maybe have noticed that I am not a native speaker of English.

    2. The denominator is called in german "Nenner" what means literally translated "namer". I changed this "namer" into a more Latin form and came up with a brand new word.

    Greetings

    EB
    Actually, no, I hadn't noticed you aren't a "native" English speaker. Your English is quite good! Anyway, "nominator" is a better guess than anything I'd've come up with. My problem is generally the reverse...German was the main language of Physics when Quantum Mechanics was born, so many of the terms I have to remember are derived from German, of which I only know the word "nein" (which probably isn't even spelled correctly!) (And thank Heavens that the Japanese have backed off in Particle Physics since the 90s. I can deal with having to learn German, but I've heard Japanese is almost as hard to learn as English! )

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Easiest way to solve
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 18th 2011, 03:36 PM
  2. Easiest way to solve
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 3rd 2009, 01:16 AM
  3. Probability at its easiest!
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 8th 2009, 02:34 PM
  4. Easiest way to solve
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 5th 2009, 11:23 AM
  5. Easiest Sum for You'll
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 7th 2008, 08:30 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum