Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - solving algebra

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    london
    Posts
    19

    Question solving algebra

    solve 3(2h+1)-2(h-4)=21

    how do i do this?

    i factorise it:
    6h+3-2h-8=21
    now wot do i do?
    u dont have to tell me the answer but could u please tell me wot the next step is?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by help_me View Post
    solve 3(2h+1)-2(h-4)=21

    how do i do this?

    i factorise it:
    6h+3-2h-8=21
    now wot do i do?
    u dont have to tell me the answer but could u please tell me wot the next step is?

    collect all the h's on one side and all the numbers on the other so...
    6h-2h=21-3+8
    4h=26
    can you do it from here?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    london
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges&Lemons View Post
    collect all the h's on one side and all the numbers on the other so...
    6h-2h=21-3+8
    4h=26
    can you do it from here?
    4h=26
    so h is 6.5?
    thanks alot
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by help_me View Post
    solve 3(2h+1)-2(h-4)=21

    how do i do this?

    i factorise it:
    6h+3-2h-8=21
    now wot do i do?
    u dont have to tell me the answer but could u please tell me wot the next step is?
    Hello,

    unfortunately you made a small but very effective mistake.
    If you expand the brackets the 2nd line should read:

    6h+3-2h+8=21

    Collect like terms:

    4h +11 =21

    and after a few steps you'll get h = \frac52
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    Hello,

    unfortunately you made a small but very effective mistake.
    If you expand the brackets the 2nd line should read:

    6h+3-2h+8=21

    Collect like terms:

    4h +11 =21

    and after a few steps you'll get h = \frac52
    oh yeah, my bad. i didnt even think to check if what you had written in the first place was right or not, sorry!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    london
    Posts
    19

    oh

    dats alrite thanks for pointing it out and o and l dats alrite every1 makes mistakes! lol
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Simple Algebra - solving for R
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 18th 2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Solving For X - Algebra
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: November 14th 2010, 08:18 PM
  3. Problem solving using algebra
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 16th 2009, 12:09 AM
  4. problem solving for algebra
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 22nd 2008, 04:22 AM
  5. [SOLVED] Solving algebra using geometry?
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 29th 2005, 12:09 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum