Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Linear Equations + Word Problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    59

    Linear Equations + Word Problems

    Hello all,

    I have a question that I'm really struggling with. It's a worded problem and I can't turn it into a suitable equation.

    Q: Three boys compare their marble collections. The first boy has 14 less than the second boy, who has twice as many as the third. If between them they have 71 marbles, how many does each boy have?

    Thanks in advance for the help. It's really stumped me
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,818
    Thanks
    316
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo_Evo_22 View Post
    Hello all,

    I have a question that I'm really struggling with. It's a worded problem and I can't turn it into a suitable equation.

    Q: Three boys compare their marble collections. The first boy has 14 less than the second boy, who has twice as many as the third. If between them they have 71 marbles, how many does each boy have?

    Thanks in advance for the help. It's really stumped me
    Let x be the number of marbles that the third boy has.

    Then the second boy has 2x marbles.

    And the first has 2x - 14.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    59
    ok thnx a lot. But Im still confused as to what to do next
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,818
    Thanks
    316
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo_Evo_22 View Post
    Hello all,

    I have a question that I'm really struggling with. It's a worded problem and I can't turn it into a suitable equation.

    Q: Three boys compare their marble collections. The first boy has 14 less than the second boy, who has twice as many as the third. If between them they have 71 marbles, how many does each boy have?

    Thanks in advance for the help. It's really stumped me
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Let x be the number of marbles that the third boy has.

    Then the second boy has 2x marbles.

    And the first has 2x - 14.

    -Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo_Evo_22 View Post
    ok thnx a lot. But Im still confused as to what to do next
    The total number of marbles is 71. So
    (2x - 14) + (2x) + x = 71

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    59
    thankyou soooooooooo much that helps a lot

    i'll try take it from here, thanks heaps
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 21st 2010, 09:46 PM
  2. Solving Word Problems With Equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 24th 2010, 03:35 PM
  3. Linear word problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 23rd 2009, 06:39 PM
  4. Linear Algebra-Matricies/Word Problems?
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 2nd 2008, 11:22 AM
  5. Quadratic Equations: Word Problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 3rd 2006, 11:44 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum