Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Math Help - quadratic equation from amazing lil boy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29

    quadratic equation from amazing lil boy

    hi there i want help with this quadratic equation.. im quiet young.. so try to explain it step by step so i can understand

    y= 2x3+3x+19

    p.s. the first 3 is squared

    can someone identify a b and c value?? Thanks very much.. try fully explain it to me so i can do it next time by myself.. thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post
    hi there i want help with this quadratic equation.. im quiet young.. so try to explain it step by step so i can understand

    y= 2x3+3x+19

    p.s. the first 3 is squared

    can someone identify a b and c value?? Thanks very much.. try fully explain it to me so i can do it next time by myself.. thanks
    Did you mean 3x^2 + 3x + 19 ?

    A quadratic equation is in the format: ax^2 + bx + c

    Do you want the equation solved?

    0 = 3x^2 + 3x + (19 - y) [That part in brackets is your c-value]

    We know that x = \frac{ -b +- \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

    So simply set the values into the equation:

    x = \frac{ -(3) +- \sqrt{(3)^2 - 4(3)(19 - y)}}{2(3)}

    x = \frac{ -(3) +- \sqrt{12y - 219}}{6}

    It seems that for this equation to be true, y > 18,25
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29
    i didnt understand anything :S
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post
    i didnt understand anything :S
    Be more specific?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29


    Where did u get the 4 from?? and why do you put numbers 3 on brackets??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post


    Where did u get the 4 from?? and why do you put numbers 3 on brackets??
    Have you heard about the quadratic formula yet?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    Have you heard about the quadratic formula yet?
    ye but i cant remember what the formula is.. do you mind if you explain it to me?? thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post
    ye but i cant remember what the formula is.. do you mind if you explain it to me?? thanks
    If you have the formula: 2x^2 + 3x + 4, then the 2 is your a value, the 3 is your b value, and the 4 is your c value.

    Like i said before: quadratic equations are in the format: ax^2 + bx + c

    I'm sure you understand that.

    The quadratic formula: x = \frac{ -b +- \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

    Thats how the formula looks, and you have to learn that format.

    Let's say we want to solve that equation at the top that i used to explain.

    Then wherever there is an a, we substitute it with 2.
    Wherever there is a b, we substitute it with 3.
    Wherever there is a c, we substitute it with 4.

    Do you understand?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    I'm just letting you know that I have to leave now. Sorry.

    Soroban is around, he'll probably continue where I left off.

    Have a good night.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29


    ye thanks very much.. i understood almost evertyhing just want to know how did you get 12 and 219... can anyone explain it?? and then how did he get 18??

    so

    a value is= 3

    b= 4

    c = 19

    am i right??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29


    oh ye one more thing.. you said wherever theres an a, i should substitute it with a 2.. why if you look at number 2 theres a bracket after it with number 3.. but the equation shows 2a.. why did u put 2(3) instead of 2(2)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3

    Wink Solving Quadratic Equations

    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post
    hi there i want help with this quadratic equation.. im quiet young.. so try to explain it step by step so i can understand

    y= 2x3+3x+19

    p.s. the first 3 is squared

    can someone identify a b and c value?? Thanks very much.. try fully explain it to me so i can do it next time by myself.. thanks

    To be a quadratic equation, it needs x^2 in it, where the power symbol ^ is used to mean that x is to the power 2.

    You can learn a lot by reading some worked out examples as well as entering your own at webgraphing.com:

    Free Online Quadratic Equation Solver: Solve by Quadratic Formula

    It will give you step by step walk through on any quadratic equation. To start you might just click the button for solving a random equation, just to see how it looks. Then enter your own and read the worked-out solution.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    If you have the formula: 2x^2 + 3x + 4, then the 2 is your a value, the 3 is your b value, and the 4 is your c value.

    Like i said before: quadratic equations are in the format: ax^2 + bx + c

    I'm sure you understand that.

    The quadratic formula: x = \frac{ -b +- \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

    Thats how the formula looks, and you have to learn that format.

    Let's say we want to solve that equation at the top that i used to explain.

    Then wherever there is an a, we substitute it with 2.
    Wherever there is a b, we substitute it with 3.
    Wherever there is a c, we substitute it with 4.

    Do you understand?
    use \pm to get \pm
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post


    oh ye one more thing.. you said wherever theres an a, i should substitute it with a 2.. why if you look at number 2 theres a bracket after it with number 3.. but the equation shows 2a.. why did u put 2(3) instead of 2(2)
    Oh yes, it should be 2(2). Thanks for the spot.

    Try to spend a little time on it yourself to see how i got the values there. I simplified everything under the root.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pitt View Post
    hi there i want help with this quadratic equation.. im quiet young.. so try to explain it step by step so i can understand

    y= 2x3+3x+19

    p.s. the first 3 is squared

    can someone identify a b and c value?? Thanks very much.. try fully explain it to me so i can do it next time by myself.. thanks
    See this

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Really amazing Theorem.
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 23rd 2010, 02:16 PM
  2. Amazing Theorem? - Please help
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 14th 2010, 08:20 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 25th 2010, 03:53 PM
  4. An amazing discovery
    Posted in the Math Challenge Problems Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 14th 2010, 08:33 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum