Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By HallsofIvy

Math Help - Find n in the expression below.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    From
    Tiranė
    Posts
    7

    Question Find n in the expression below.

    Ok, I got this expression:

    (\frac{1}{\sqrt2} + 3)^n
    Then I have:
    T_4 = 3\times\sqrt2\times T_3

    Find n.

    I got absolutely no idea what T_3 and T_4 are, so I have no clue how to solve this.
    Last edited by Legjendat; September 29th 2013 at 04:47 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,211
    Thanks
    419
    Awards
    1

    Re: Find n in the expression below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legjendat View Post
    Ok, I got this expression:

    (\frac{1}{\sqrt2} + 3)^n
    Then I have:
    T_4 = 3\times\sqrt2\times T_3

    Find n.

    I got absolutely no idea what T_3 and T_4 are, so I have no clue how to solve this.
    Neither do I. What is n supposed to be? What is T supposed to be? What is the actual problem? What context is this in? Even a chapter reference would be good.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,400
    Thanks
    1849

    Re: Find n in the expression below.

    It should be obvious that you can't just put random numbers into an equation and expect that you will always get then same solution. Look back through the problem or area before the problem for references to T_3 and T_4.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    From
    Tiranė
    Posts
    7

    Re: Find n in the expression below.

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Neither do I. What is n supposed to be? What is T supposed to be? What is the actual problem? What context is this in? Even a chapter reference would be good.

    -Dan
    I swear this is all there was in the question in my exam, and I have never done anything like this before in class, which left me amused.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    From
    USA
    Posts
    325
    Thanks
    136

    Re: Find n in the expression below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legjendat View Post
    I swear this is all there was in the question in my exam, and I have never done anything like this before in class, which left me amused.
    Well, what course this comes from? Are these Tchebyshev polynomial related questions?

    A suggestion, try using binomial expansion
    Last edited by votan; September 29th 2013 at 06:39 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Find expression
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 21st 2013, 06:26 AM
  2. find m and b for min. expression.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 27th 2011, 08:53 AM
  3. find the value for this expression?
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 29th 2010, 05:37 PM
  4. find the expression
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 12th 2009, 03:27 AM
  5. Find an expression
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 7th 2008, 01:09 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum