Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Factors and Simplest Form: Concept check

  1. #1
    Junior Member Euclid Alexandria's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Near Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    73

    Question Factors and Simplest Form: Concept check

    The following is my explanation of why it is false that the prime factorization of 72 is 2 * 4 * 9.

    It is false that the prime factorization of 72 is 2 * 4 * 9, because 4 and 9 are not prime numbers. 4 can be further simplified to 2 * 2, and 9 can be further simplified to 3 * 3.

    Is my answer clear and correct?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid Alexandria
    The following is my explanation of why it is false that the prime factorization of 72 is 2 * 4 * 9.

    It is false that the prime factorization of 72 is 2 * 4 * 9, because 4 and 9 are not prime numbers. 4 can be further simplified to 2 * 2, and 9 can be further simplified to 3 * 3.

    Is my answer clear and correct?
    Looks OK to me.

    Now that you have done all the work it would be worth a few marks
    to actually give the correct prime factorisation.


    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member Euclid Alexandria's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Near Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    73

    Smile

    Thanks Captain.

    Oh and $\displaystyle 2^3 * 3^2$ (if that's the correct way of writing it)!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclid Alexandria
    Thanks Captain.

    Oh and $\displaystyle 2^3 * 3^2$ (if that's the correct way of writing it)!
    That looks good. Though you could use the following alternate TeX formats:

    $\displaystyle 2^3\ 3^2$

    $\displaystyle 2^3 \times 3^2$

    which, to me at least, cosmetically look better .

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    I prefer to write $\displaystyle 2^3\cdot 3^2$ using the LaTeX ommand \cdot
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker
    I prefer to write $\displaystyle 2^3\cdot 3^2$ using the LaTeX ommand \cdot
    I try to avoid this, as when I was 10 we were taught to use $\displaystyle \cdot$ as the decimal point.

    So I prefer juxtaposition or a multiplication symbol.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member Euclid Alexandria's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Near Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    73

    Smile

    Thanks for the TeX pointers guys.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack
    I try to avoid this, as when I was 10 we were taught to use $\displaystyle \cdot$ as the decimal point.

    So I prefer juxtaposition or a multiplication symbol.

    RonL
    I was taught the juxatoposition of $\displaystyle \times$ may be confused for $\displaystyle x$.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker
    I was taught the juxatoposition of $\displaystyle \times$ may be confused for $\displaystyle x$.
    But we are using TeX, so its not a problem. Also its not a problem in
    manuscript if you are careful.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Simplest form from these offerings
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 7th 2010, 12:11 PM
  2. simplest form
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 21st 2009, 03:56 PM
  3. Re-write the following in their simplest form
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 5th 2008, 06:55 AM
  4. simplest form
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 3rd 2007, 04:26 AM
  5. Factors and Simplest Form: Concept Check
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 23rd 2007, 12:38 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum