Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By ebaines
  • 1 Post By Prove It

Math Help - Why is this statement true?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Denmark
    Posts
    11

    Why is this statement true?

    Hello folks

    Can anybody give me a step by step of why this statement is true?

    Code:
    (x^2 + 4x)/x = x + 4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor ebaines's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,117
    Thanks
    329

    Re: Why is this statement true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassinbeast View Post
    Hello folks

    Can anybody give me a step by step of why this statement is true?

    Code:
    (x^2 + 4x)/x = x + 4

    Step by step:

     \frac {x^2 + 4x} x = \frac {x^2} x + \frac {4x}x = x ( \frac x x) + 4 ( \frac x x ) = x(1) + 4(1) = x + 4

    Note that x \ne 0, or else the fractions are undefined.
    Thanks from Assassinbeast
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Denmark
    Posts
    11

    Re: Why is this statement true?

    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Step by step:

     \frac {x^2 + 4x} x = \frac {x^2} x + \frac {4x}x = x ( \frac x x) + 4 ( \frac x x ) = x(1) + 4(1) = x + 4

    Note that x \ne 0, or else the fractions are undefined.
    woooow, thank you so much man!! i wish it was written in my math book
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,697
    Thanks
    1513

    Re: Why is this statement true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Assassinbeast View Post
    Hello folks

    Can anybody give me a step by step of why this statement is true?

    Code:
    (x^2 + 4x)/x = x + 4
    Or even easier...

    \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x^2 + 4x}{x} &= \frac{x \left( x + 4 \right)}{x} \\ &= x + 4 \end{align*}

    This is of course provided that \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \neq 0 \end{align*}.
    Thanks from Assassinbeast
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    From
    Denmark
    Posts
    11

    Re: Why is this statement true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    Or even easier...

    \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x^2 + 4x}{x} &= \frac{x \left( x + 4 \right)}{x} \\ &= x + 4 \end{align*}

    This is of course provided that \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \neq 0 \end{align*}.
    Thank you too man!! thats some cool tricks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Where is this statement true?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 21st 2011, 11:42 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Is the converse statement true?
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 3rd 2010, 05:23 AM
  3. Is this statement true or false?
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 23rd 2010, 11:55 PM
  4. True or False Statement?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 11th 2009, 08:04 AM
  5. true statement
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 27th 2006, 11:16 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum