Results 1 to 3 of 3
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By skeeter

Math Help - Percentage problem

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    California
    Posts
    101

    Post Percentage problem

    Hi, I'm trying to figure out a math problem for my mom. It's mainly percentages and algebra I believe. At her work, each person is supposed to donate $125 for birthdays through out the year but not everyone donated $125. There are 14 total people and 10 people donated the full $125, one person donated $60, one donated $70, one donated $90, and one person donated $80. So the total donated was $1550 and $1113 was left over. So I need to figure out how to evenly distribute the $1113 that was left over to the 14 people that gave the money. I realize that the 10 people that donated the full $125 supplied 80% of the total amount donated and the remaining gave 20%. I figured out the percentage given for each person but when I calculated their share it still did not seem fair. I am just having difficulty figuring out how much each person should give back. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,880
    Thanks
    668

    Re: Percentage problem

    1550 - 1113 = $437 spent

    to be fair ...

    437/14 = 31.21

    everyone should get back 31.21 less than they contributed
    Thanks from matt3D
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    California
    Posts
    101

    Re: Percentage problem

    Wow! Thank you so much, I didn't think about it that way.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 26th 2011, 09:19 PM
  2. Help with percentage problem please!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 3rd 2010, 09:54 AM
  3. Percentage problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 14th 2009, 01:41 AM
  4. Percentage problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 29th 2009, 04:15 PM
  5. Percentage Problem!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 20th 2009, 05:18 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum