Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Plato
  • 1 Post By Plato

Math Help - How many even numbers. Help

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    Sweden
    Posts
    4

    How many even numbers. Help

    Hey guys.

    I need a some help with the following problem. Not sure how to start.

    You have 50 integers.
    27 of these can be divided by 3
    17 of them can be divided by 5
    16 of them can be divided by 6
    11 of them can be divided by 10
    7 of them can be divided by 15
    4 of them can be divided by 30.
    3 of the numbers can't be divided by either 2,3 or 5.

    How many of the original 50 integers are even numbers?


    Thanks in advance

    Yahikko
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    UK
    Posts
    484
    Thanks
    65

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    I would draw a Venn diagram. Draw circles for numbers divisible by 2, by 3 and by 5.

    The various intersections contain numbers divisible

    by 2 and by 3 [these are divisible by 6]

    by 2 and by 5 [these are divisible by 10]

    by 3 and by 5 [these are divisible by 15]

    and the intersection of all three has numbers divisible by 2, by 3 and by 5 [these are divisible by 30].
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,615
    Thanks
    1578
    Awards
    1

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahikko View Post
    You have 50 integers.
    27 of these can be divided by 3
    17 of them can be divided by 5
    16 of them can be divided by 6
    11 of them can be divided by 10
    7 of them can be divided by 15
    4 of them can be divided by 30.
    3 of the numbers can't be divided by either 2,3 or 5.
    How many of the original 50 integers are even numbers?
    Do a Venn diagram. Let A be divisible by 3, B be divisible by 2, and C be divisible by 5.
    I will get you started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many even numbers. Help-untitled.gif  
    Thanks from HallsofIvy
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    israel
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    use inclusion and exlusion formula.see the attached solution-verify the sises of the intersections there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many even numbers. Help-001.jpg  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,615
    Thanks
    1578
    Awards
    1

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Quote Originally Posted by hedi View Post
    use inclusion and exlusion formula.see the attached solution-verify the sises of the intersections there.
    @hedi, If you want to continue to post useful answers, why don't you learn some basic LaTeX coding. Your images are messy in the extreme. Often they are posted in the wrong orientation making this hard to read. Moreover, they are handwritten which means that I for one tend to ignore them. I think you have good things to contribute but learn to post using LaTeX please.
    Thanks from MarkFL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    israel
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    I would love to use LaTeX ,but it sounds like chineese to me.How can i learn it easily?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor MarkFL's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    From
    St. Augustine, FL.
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks
    734

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Do a search here and online for tutorials and tips on its usage, quote the posts of others who are using it (without submitting the quoted post of course) to see the code they use. Once you dive in and begin using it, you will find it's not that difficult, and your posts will be easy to read and look great!

    I, and many others I'm sure, will for the most part ignore posts with hand-written attachments, and even all but the simplest expression typed without LaTeX. I'm not trying to come down on you, I'm just being honest. If I have to struggle to read something, most times I move along.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    Sweden
    Posts
    4

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Do a Venn diagram. Let A be divisible by 3, B be divisible by 2, and C be divisible by 5.
    I will get you started.

    Thanks a lot for your help! I'm sorry but I really can't figure out how to insert the numbers in the Venn diagram. I'm really tired and just don't get it...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,615
    Thanks
    1578
    Awards
    1

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Yahikko View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help! I'm sorry but I really can't figure out how to insert the numbers in the Venn diagram. I'm really tired and just don't get it...
    With respect to reply #3, do you understand how I found the numbers in A, the multiples of three?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2012
    From
    israel
    Posts
    105
    Thanks
    14

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    with respect to reply 3:
    A^B are rhe numbers divisible by 2 and3 ,that is,by 6.the data says there are 16 such numbers.
    A6B6C are the numbers divisible by 2,3 and 5,that is,divisible by 30.there are 4 such numbers ,as given in the data.
    In like manner compute the other intersections.That is what i was trying to explain in answer 4 (which you didn't like)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,615
    Thanks
    1578
    Awards
    1

    Re: How many even numbers. Help

    Quote Originally Posted by hedi View Post
    with respect to reply 3:
    A^B are rhe numbers divisible by 2 and3 ,that is,by 6.the data says there are 16 such numbers.
    A6B6C are the numbers divisible by 2,3 and 5,that is,divisible by 30.there are 4 such numbers ,as given in the data.
    In like manner compute the other intersections.That is what i was trying to explain in answer 4 (which you didn't like)
    I have no idea what this post means.
    Let me show how LaTeX could help.
    [tex]A\cap B [/tex] gives A\cap B .
    That represents the multiples of six, multiples of two and multiples of three.

    Multiples of two and multiples of three and multiples of five are multiples of thirty.

    If the original poster does not understand Venn diagrams, this is a pointless exercise.
    If that is the case, then surely the OP must know about inclusion/exclusion.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 9th 2012, 08:43 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 29th 2011, 02:18 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 27th 2010, 03:14 PM
  4. Proof: All rational numbers are algebraic numbers
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 5th 2010, 10:26 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 10th 2008, 05:58 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum