Results 1 to 2 of 2
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By phdudeman

Math Help - finding the weight of Watermelon

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    149

    finding the weight of Watermelon

    the weight of a watermelon is 20 kg inside it 98 % water ,then we put it under the sun the water become 95% ,what is the weight of the watermelon ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    From
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    1

    Re: finding the weight of Watermelon

    If the watermelon that weighs 20 kg has 98% water, we should first figure out what the weight of the other 2% is.

    Weight of entire watermelon: 20 kg
    Weight of the water: 20kg (0.98) =19.6 kg
    Weight of the other part: 20kg (0.02) = 0.4 kg

    After you find the weight of the “other part”, you can use this information to find the weight of the melon if it only has 95% water. Since the “other part” does not evaporate (unlike water), the weight of it stays the same.

    Weight of the other part (5% of the total weight): 0.4 kg

    0.4 kg / total weight = 0.05
    0.4 / 0.05 = total weight
    8 kg = total weight

    Enjoy .
    Thanks from HallsofIvy
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum