Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By Wilmer

Math Help - Finding the capacity

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64

    Finding the capacity

    Two oil tanks,X and Y, have the same capacity. The amount of oil in tank X is 1/2 of its capacity, and the amount of oil in tank Y is 1200 gallons less than its capacity. If there are 7800 gallons of oil in the two tanks combined, what is the capacity, in gallons, of tank X?

    How is it 6000?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Finding the capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by donnagirl View Post
    Two oil tanks,X and Y, have the same capacity. The amount of oil in tank X is 1/2 of its capacity, and the amount of oil in tank Y is 1200 gallons less than its capacity. If there are 7800 gallons of oil in the two tanks combined, what is the capacity, in gallons, of tank X? How is it 6000?
    Can you solve \frac{C}{2}+C-1200=7800~?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64

    Re: Finding the capacity

    I set it up this way:
    C1 is the capacity of X.
    C2 is the capacity of Y.
    0.5*C1 = C2 - 1200
    C1 + C2 = 7800
    But when I substitute I get a positive 1200 instead of negative.

    C1 + 0.5C1 + 1200 = 7800
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Finding the capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by donnagirl View Post
    I set it up this way:
    C1 is the capacity of X.
    C2 is the capacity of Y.
    0.5*C1 = C2 - 1200
    C1 + C2 = 7800
    But when I substitute I get a positive 1200 instead of negative.
    C1 + 0.5C1 + 1200 = 7800
    That setup is simply wrong.
    If you solve \frac{C}{2}+C-1200=7800~?, you will get C=6000.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64

    Re: Finding the capacity

    How can I deduce the right setup (to show where your equation comes from).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,866
    Thanks
    745

    Re: Finding the capacity

    Hello, donnagirl!

    Two oil tanks, X and Y, have the same capacity.
    The amount of oil in tank X is 1/2 of its capacity,
    and the amount of oil in tank Y is 1200 gallons less than its capacity.
    If there are 7800 gallons of oil in the two tanks combined,
    what is the capacity, in gallons, of tank X?

    How is it 6000?

    \text{The two tanks have the }same\;capacity.
    . . \text{Hence: }\:C \,=\,\text{the capacity of tank }X\,=\,\text{the capacity of tank }Y.

    \text{The amount of oil in tank }X\text{ is: }\:\tfrac{1}{2}C

    \text{The amount of oil in tank }Y\text{ is: }\:C - 1200

    \text{So we have: }\:\tfrac{1}{2}C + (C - 1200) \:=\:7800

    \text{Got it?}

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,923
    Thanks
    1762
    Awards
    1

    Re: Finding the capacity

    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, donnagirl!


    \text{The two tanks have the }same\;capacity.
    . . \text{Hence: }\:C \,=\,\text{the capacity of tank }X\,=\,\text{the capacity of tank }Y.

    \text{The amount of oil in tank }X\text{ is: }\:\tfrac{1}{2}C

    \text{The amount of oil in tank }Y\text{ is: }\:C - 1200

    \text{So we have: }\:\tfrac{1}{2}C + (C - 1200) \:=\:7800

    \text{Got it?}

    How is that different from reply #2?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,119
    Thanks
    68

    Re: Finding the capacity

    He didn't say it was different; he simply explained HOW (which you didn't do).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,119
    Thanks
    68

    Re: Finding the capacity

    Can somebody kick this Thompson guy outta here? Keeps doing this to post his link!
    Tired of getting emails due to his posts...
    Thanks from Prove It
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. % of Total Capacity
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 30th 2011, 09:43 AM
  2. Calculating percentage capacity used...help!!!
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 24th 2010, 06:06 PM
  3. Calculating percentage capacity used...help!!!
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th 2010, 05:26 PM
  4. Capacity of a cube
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 21st 2009, 09:15 AM
  5. capacity
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 25th 2007, 02:55 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum