Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - How to find the domain for this function?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    moreno valley
    Posts
    4

    How to find the domain for this function?

    the problem is p(x)= [3√(x-6)]/√(x2-x-30)
    From what i know you have to make sure that the denominator isnt equal to zero that there is no negative in the square root sign. Those values that do make it equal to zero and a negative in the square root sign must be excluded from the domain. I dont have a clue on how to start? Im also wondering if the top cube root includes a value that must also be excluded from the domain?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,709
    Thanks
    1640
    Awards
    1

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    Quote Originally Posted by francisco1741 View Post
    the problem is p(x)= [3√(x-6)]/√(x2-x-30)
    From what i know you have to make sure that the denominator isnt equal to zero that there is no negative in the square root sign. Those values that do make it equal to zero and a negative in the square root sign must be excluded from the domain. I dont have a clue on how to start? Im also wondering if the top cube root includes a value that must also be excluded from the domain?
    There is no restrictions on cube roots.
    Note x^2-x-30=(x-6)(x+5)>0, solve that.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    moreno valley
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    There is no restrictions on cube roots.
    Note x^2-x-30=(x-6)(x+5)>0, solve that.
    So i did and got 6 and -5. Now that means that those two values cannot be the domain?
    Would me answer be : All real numbers except where x=6 and x=-5
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,709
    Thanks
    1640
    Awards
    1

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    Quote Originally Posted by francisco1741 View Post
    So i did and got 6 and -5. Now that means that those two values cannot be the domain?
    Would me answer be : All real numbers except where x=6 and x=-5
    No that is not true. It is not x=0 for example.
    We cannot have square roots of negative numbers.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    moreno valley
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    So then we cannot have the denominator =0 and we cannot have square root of negative numbers right? Then how would my answer be like?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,709
    Thanks
    1640
    Awards
    1

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    Quote Originally Posted by francisco1741 View Post
    So then we cannot have the denominator =0 and we cannot have square root of negative numbers right? Then how would my answer be like?
    Can you do the elementary algebra to solve (x-6)(x+5)>0~?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    moreno valley
    Posts
    4

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    I dont know why but i wrote = insteaad of >. I got x<-5 and x>6
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,709
    Thanks
    1640
    Awards
    1

    Re: How to find the domain for this function?

    Quote Originally Posted by francisco1741 View Post
    i dont know why but i wrote = insteaad of >. I got x<-5 and x>6
    correct!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Find the domain of this function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 8th 2012, 08:06 PM
  2. Find the domain of this function?
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 22nd 2011, 04:19 AM
  3. find the domain of the function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 26th 2010, 11:21 PM
  4. Please help. find domain of function
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 7th 2009, 04:56 AM
  5. Find Domain of Function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 17th 2007, 04:43 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum