Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3

    Post Solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Evening.

    I am having trouble with how to solve linear equations and functions, as well as how to do systems of equations(as listed in the title). I can't really seem to figure out what I am supposed to be doing, I have a test tomorrow! I've been searching everywhere for a source of good information regarding ways to do these (linear equations, functions, system of equations).

    Please; if you guys know an easier way to do these (linear equations, functions, system of equations), leave a comment below.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by mr fantastic; November 30th 2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Title.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    USA
    Posts
    3,110
    Thanks
    2

    Re: I need help solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    The easiest way would be to learn the material. Any chance we can try a problem and figure that out?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: I need help solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by TKHunny View Post
    The easiest way would be to learn the material. Any chance we can try a problem and figure that out?

    A practice problem I found was y = 3/2x + 1
    y = x + 6


    You're supposed to graph them to get the answer or something. I am confused. (I should also say that I am not very good at math)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,319
    Thanks
    1238

    Re: I need help solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artythizzaa View Post
    A practice problem I found was y = 3/2x + 1
    y = x + 6


    You're supposed to graph them to get the answer or something. I am confused. (I should also say that I am not very good at math)
    So graph the two lines. The point where they intersect is the solution to the system of equations.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: I need help solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    So graph the two lines. The point where they intersect is the solution to the system of equations.

    There's my predicament; I am not very sure on how to figure out where to plot the two equations.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,319
    Thanks
    1238

    Re: I need help solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artythizzaa View Post
    There's my predicament; I am not very sure on how to figure out where to plot the two equations.
    On graph paper would be a good idea...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5

    Re: Solving Linear Equations, Systems of Equations, and Functions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artythizzaa View Post
    Evening.

    I am having trouble with how to solve linear equations and functions, as well as how to do systems of equations(as listed in the title). I can't really seem to figure out what I am supposed to be doing, I have a test tomorrow! I've been searching everywhere for a source of good information regarding ways to do these (linear equations, functions, system of equations).

    Please; if you guys know an easier way to do these (linear equations, functions, system of equations), leave a comment below.

    Thank you.
    Needing help to understand a topic the night before a test on that topic is not a good strategy. You should have been attempting questions and getting help on a regular basis from your instructor.

    MHF cannot provide a crash course the night before a test. The fact that you are unable to graph the two linear equations you gave as an example suggests that your lack of understandng is extensive.

    I suggest you start getting regular on-on-one help from your instructor or a tutor. Also, your class notes and textbook, ought to contain plenty of examples to follow. And Google will turn up hundreds of websites that can help you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Solving purely symbolic systems of linear equations
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 1st 2010, 09:03 AM
  2. Solving purely symbolic systems of linear equations
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 1st 2010, 12:00 AM
  3. Solving systems of linear equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 31st 2009, 04:27 PM
  4. Solving systems of linear equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 28th 2009, 06:33 AM
  5. solving systems of linear equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 24th 2007, 06:09 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum