Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - justifying solutions of an equation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    54

    justifying solutions of an equation

    If I wrote ax^2+bx+c=0 --> x= d,e for example, then am I right in thinking that all this says is that d and e are the only possible solutions and that I would need 'iff' to justify that these are the solutions?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5

    Re: justifying solutions of an equation

    Quote Originally Posted by boromir View Post
    If I wrote ax^2+bx+c=0 --> x= d,e for example, then am I right in thinking that all this says is that d and e are the only possible solutions and that I would need 'iff' to justify that these are the solutions?
    If you are asked to solve an equation, you solve it! Solving it means finding all the values of, in this case, x that satisfy the equation. 'iff' is irrelevant.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,405
    Thanks
    1328

    Re: justifying solutions of an equation

    Although, if I were your teacher, I would expect more than just " ax^2+ bx+ c= 0---> x= d, e" to indicate that d and e are meant to be the solutions. If you want to really shock your teacher, try writing full sentences: "x= d and x= e are the solutions to the equation ax^2+ bx+ c= 0"!
    Last edited by HallsofIvy; November 15th 2011 at 06:44 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2011
    Posts
    54

    Re: justifying solutions of an equation

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    If you are asked to solve an equation, you solve it! Solving it means finding all the values of, in this case, x that satisfy the equation. 'iff' is irrelevant.
    Yes, and one would of course achieve full marks but the reasoning would be faulty.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5

    Re: justifying solutions of an equation

    Quote Originally Posted by boromir View Post
    Yes, and one would of course achieve full marks but the reasoning would be faulty.
    I have absolutely no idea on what basis you make the above comment.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Justifying the integration of both sides
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 6th 2011, 09:18 AM
  2. Justifying the closure of a set
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 23rd 2010, 04:28 AM
  3. Equation solutions
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 11th 2009, 11:11 PM
  4. Solutions to sin equation
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 5th 2009, 05:49 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 6th 2007, 02:39 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum