Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Math Help - Simplifying Expressions

  1. #16
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by richtea9 View Post
    Ok, I've been working on the following expression to see if I could get the right result.

    (x-2)^2+4x

    So I first do:

    (x-2)(x-2) = x^2-2x-2x-4+4x = x^2-4

    So I think the result is this? x^2-4

    If this is wrong, hopefully you should be able to see the thought process I have gone through and figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Almost, but you made the same mistake as last time!

    (x-2)(x-2)+4x=x^2-2x-2x{\color{red}+}4+4x

    =x^2+4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    Almost, but you made the same mistake as last time!

    (x-2)(x-2)+4x=x^2-2x-2x{\color{red}+}4+4x

    =x^2+4
    Ok, thanks again.

    Why is the minus after the last 2x becoming a plus?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    It should never have been a minus - this was a small mistake you made when using FOIL on the brackets.
    You have -2\times{-2}=+4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    It should never have been a minus - this was a small mistake you made when using FOIL on the brackets.
    You have -2\times{-2}=+4
    Ah OK! I think I'm getting it now, thank you. Could you possibly provide me with another expression to make sure?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Sure! Have a crack at some of these:

    x^2-(x+2)(x+4)

    (x-3)^2-9

    Fairly challenging, perhaps:
    (x+7)(x+3)-(x+3)^2
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    Sure! Have a crack at some of these:

    x^2-(x+2)(x+4)

    (x-3)^2-9

    Fairly challenging, perhaps:
    (x+7)(x+3)-(x+3)^2
    Rethinking
    Last edited by richtea9; October 22nd 2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #22
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    Sure! Have a crack at some of these:

    x^2-(x+2)(x+4)

    (x-3)^2-9

    Fairly challenging, perhaps:
    (x+7)(x+3)-(x+3)^2
    Ok for the first one I did this:

    (x+2)(x+4) = x^2+4x+2x+6 = x^2+6x+6

    x^2-(x^2+6x+6)

    x^2-x^2 = 0

    So we left with 6x+6


    EDIT: I'm thinking that maybe when joining 4x and 2x together, you multiply them together? so 8?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #23
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by richtea9 View Post
    Ok for the first one I did this:

    (x+2)(x+4) = x^2+4x+2x+{\color{red}8} = x^2+6x+{\color{red}8}

    x^2-(x^2+6x+{\color{red}8})

    x^2-x^2 = 0

    So we left with -(6x+{\color{red}8})
    You made a silly mistake, but otherwise you were nearly there. Again, you just need to remember that if you have something like -(6x+8), this means -6x-8 because you have to distribute the negative to every term inside the brackets.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #24
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    You made a silly mistake, but otherwise you were nearly there. Again, you just need to remember that if you have something like -(6x+8), this means -6x-8 because you have to distribute the negative to every term inside the brackets.
    Ok, I understand that now

    For the second one I did the following:

    (x-3)^2 = (x-3)(x-3) = x^2-3x-3x+9 = x^2-6x+9

    (x^2-6x+9)-9 = -6+x^2

    -6+x^2
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #25
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by richtea9 View Post
    Ok, I understand that now

    For the second one I did the following:

    (x-3)^2 = (x-3)(x-3) = x^2-3x-3x+9 = x^2-6x+9

    (x^2-6x+9)-9 = -6{\color{red}x}+x^2

    -6{\color{red}x}+x^2
    Another silly mistake! You are the master of them. The working out stages were fine though.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    Another silly mistake! You are the master of them. The working out stages were fine though.
    Ah, I wrote it into the computer, thats what I had on paper

    Ok the last one is difficult.

    (x+7)(x+3) = x^2+10x+21

    (x+3)^2 = (x+3)(x+3) = x^2+6x+9

    I'm not sure what to do after this stage
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #27
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by richtea9 View Post
    Ah, I wrote it into the computer, thats what I had on paper

    Ok the last one is difficult.

    (x+7)(x+3) = x^2+10x+21

    (x+3)^2 = (x+3)(x+3) = x^2+6x+9

    I'm not sure what to do after this stage
    Great start!

    (x^2+10x+21)-(x^2+6x+9)

    First, distribute that negative sign to the last set of brackets.
    Then, just combine your terms.

    So, pair them like before:
    x^2-x^2=0
    ...etc.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #28
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    Great start!

    (x^2+10x+21)-(x^2+6x+9)

    First, distribute that negative sign to the last set of brackets.
    Then, just combine your terms.

    So, pair them like before:
    x^2-x^2=0
    ...etc.
    Ok so

    x^2-x^2=0

    10x-6x=4x

    21-9=12

    Correct? I think I'm missing something! Properly the minus?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #29
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by richtea9 View Post
    Ok so

    x^2-x^2=0

    10x-6x=4x

    21-9=12

    Correct? I think I'm missing something! Properly the minus?
    4x+12 is correct. Well done
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #30
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29

    Re: Simplifying Expressions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky View Post
    4x+12 is correct. Well done
    Perfecto!

    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Simplifying log expressions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 4th 2010, 11:13 AM
  2. Simplifying expressions
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 10th 2009, 10:41 AM
  3. Simplifying expressions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 7th 2009, 08:49 AM
  4. Simplifying Expressions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 6th 2008, 05:23 PM
  5. simplifying expressions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 29th 2008, 10:28 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum