Results 1 to 14 of 14

Math Help - Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    58

    Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    f(x) = (x^2 - 6x)/ (x^2 -x -2)


    x= -0.9 y: -21.41

    Webassign marked this as incorrect. How is this incorrect? I plug that exact value into the the equation on my ti 83 and got that answer. Webassign also marked me wrong for other decimal values except for
    0, -.5, and 2
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,829
    Thanks
    1602

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    f(x) = (x^2 - 6x)/ (x^2 -x -2)


    x= -0.9 y: -21.41

    Webassign marked this as incorrect. How is this incorrect? I plug that exact value into the the equation on my ti 83 and got that answer. Webassign also marked me wrong for other decimal values except for
    0, -.5, and 2
    Are those answers to six decimal places?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    58

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    Are those answers to six decimal places?


    ah, I was using the table feature of the ti83 which didn't show the full number.

    How dumb of me.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,829
    Thanks
    1602

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    ti83 only showed those numbers.

    One of my answer was -2.6 which i got by plugging -0.5 in the equation and that got marked correct
    Then you must need to show more floating point numbers in your answers. You can change this in the settings.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    58

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Okay I changed it in the setting to "float" but some numbers are not reaching the 6 decimal place.

    For value x value -0.9 i got -21.41379.

    I plug that entire number into the webassign and it still marked me incorrect.
    I also tried adding 0 at the end to meet the "6 decimal place" but that failed.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    Okay I changed it in the setting to "float" but some numbers are not reaching the 6 decimal place.

    For value x value -0.9 i got -21.41379.

    I plug that entire number into the webassign and it still marked me incorrect.
    I also tried adding 0 at the end to meet the "6 decimal place" but that failed.
    Because that is to five decimal places, if to six decimal places it is -21.413793.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    58

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    Because that is to five decimal places, if to six decimal places it is -21.413793.

    CB
    My ti83 will not show the 6 decimal place when I input it into the table or trace it on the graph. any thoughts?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    My ti83 will not show the 6 decimal place when I input it into the table or trace it on the graph. any thoughts?
    Here's a thought, old fashioned as it is: Type in ((-0.9)^2 - 6(-0.9))/ ((-0.9)^2 -(-0.9) -2).

    It's also worth remembering GIGO.

    Not too many years ago I'd expect a student to be capable of replacing -0.9 with -9/10 and then calculating an exact value using fractions, without using a calculator. Times change.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    58

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Here's a thought, old fashioned as it is: Type in ((-0.9)^2 - 6(-0.9))/ ((-0.9)^2 -(-0.9) -2).

    It's also worth remembering GIGO.

    Not too many years ago I'd expect a student to be capable of replacing -0.9 with -9/10 and then calculating an exact value using fractions, without using a calculator. Times change.
    I admit that I rely heavily on my calculator but during testing situations, I need the calculator's accuracy and speed so setting it up to display what I what and when I want is crucial.
    Also i understand you can easily plug in the original equation but I was just listing -0.9 as 1 x value out of 14 x value that I had to calculate for. I ended up doing this for the homework anyways because I can not set up my ti83 to show more than 5 decimal places in the graph/table

    plugging in every single x value ranging from -0.5 through -1.001 into the original equation might not be the most effective way to work during a 1-2 hour testing period.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    I admit that I rely heavily on my calculator but during testing situations, I need the calculator's accuracy and speed so setting it up to display what I what and when I want is crucial.
    Also i understand you can easily plug in the original equation but I was just listing -0.9 as 1 x value out of 14 x value that I had to calculate for. I ended up doing this for the homework anyways because I can not set up my ti83 to show more than 5 decimal places in the graph/table

    plugging in every single x value ranging from -0.5 through -1.001 into the original equation might not be the most effective way to work during a 1-2 hour testing period.
    The problem is not only the way you are using your calculator but what you think the answer should look like. Six decimal places means that you should have six figures after the decimal point even if the trailing digits are zeros.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    My ti83 will not show the 6 decimal place when I input it into the table or trace it on the graph. any thoughts?
    Learn how to use your calculator! This calculation can be entered at the keyboard in normal calculator mode and should display something between 12 and 14 significant digits in the output which is more than enough to deal with this question.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Here's a thought, old fashioned as it is: Type in ((-0.9)^2 - 6(-0.9))/ ((-0.9)^2 -(-0.9) -2).

    It's also worth remembering GIGO.

    Not too many years ago I'd expect a student to be capable of replacing -0.9 with -9/10 and then calculating an exact value using fractions, without using a calculator. Times change.
    Then finish their homework and take the dinosaur for a walk

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor Also sprach Zarathustra's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    From
    Russia
    Posts
    1,506
    Thanks
    1

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    f(x) = (x^2 - 6x)/ (x^2 -x -2)


    x= -0.9 y: -21.41

    Webassign marked this as incorrect. How is this incorrect? I plug that exact value into the the equation on my ti 83 and got that answer. Webassign also marked me wrong for other decimal values except for
    0, -.5, and 2
    \frac{(-0.9)^2 - 6(-0.9)}{ (-0.9)^2 -(-0.9)-2}=\frac{0.81+5.4}{0.81 +0.9-2}=\frac{6.21}{-0.29}

    621:29=21.?????....

    621-609=12

    r=1200000:29

    by long division r equals to: 41379.***...

    Hence:

    621:29=21.41379.....

    So:

    \frac{6.21}{-0.29}=-21.41379....

    By the way what is the latex code for the long division?

    [PHP]----------------
    1200000 | 29



    [/PHP]
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5

    Re: Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    Quote Originally Posted by NeoSonata View Post
    Evaluate the function at the given numbers (correct to six decimal places).

    f(x) = (x^2 - 6x)/ (x^2 -x -2)

    [snip]

    Webassign also marked me wrong for other decimal values except for
    0, -.5, and 2
    I can find the exact value of y for these values of x (and x = 0 is particularly simple, by the way) faster using mental arithmetic than finding, turning on and using a calculator. And it is very simple to work using pen and paper .....

    I'd argue that a student with a competent grasp of basic arithmetic should be able to as well, at least for x = 2 .....

    It's well and good to use a calculator, but like any tool, the calculator is only as effective as the mind that is directing it.
    Last edited by mr fantastic; July 1st 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Finding the last two decimal places.....
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 5th 2011, 11:46 AM
  2. Rounding to three decimal places
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 24th 2010, 05:57 PM
  3. decimal places
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 10th 2010, 05:10 AM
  4. Express y correct to 2 decimal places
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 22nd 2009, 11:17 PM
  5. Decimal Places
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 1st 2008, 03:12 PM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum