Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - find values of A and B

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897

    find values of A and B

    hi,
    i need to find the values of A and B to this question:

    given that x^2 +12x +A ≡ (x+B)^2

    Find values of A and B.

    im unsure what to do because before i did:
    (x+6) (x+6)
    = x^2+12+36

    A=36 B=6

    however it was wrong so i need to know where i am going wrong and how i get it correct!

    help would be great!

    thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901
    You have the correct solution, are you sure this is the exact wording/equation?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,395
    Thanks
    1481
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    given that x^2 +12x +A ≡ (x+B)^2
    Find values of A and B.
    A=36 B=6
    however it was wrong
    How do you know that your answer is incorrect?
    Are you given a proposed answer?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    yes! my teacher wrote in my book "How?" "did you understand it?" "ask me"

    but i can't see how im wrong because im sure its correct, that why i asked here so i could know where im going wrong!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    How do you know that your answer is incorrect?
    Are you given a proposed answer?
    my book had been marked, see above post to she what she wrote!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member Quacky's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Windsor, South-East England
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    yes! my teacher wrote in my book "How?" "did you understand it?" "ask me"

    but i can't see how im wrong because im sure its correct, that why i asked here so i could know where im going wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    my book had been marked, see above post to she what she wrote!
    She isn't saying that you're wrong. She is saying that your method is concerning because it looks like you've randomly guessed.

    Start the problem from scratch and try to solve it this way: expand the brackets on the right hand side, and then equate the coefficients.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    i know what to do now, thanks for clearing that up!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,671
    Thanks
    299
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    hi,
    i need to find the values of A and B to this question:

    given that x^2 +12x +A ≡ (x+B)^2

    Find values of A and B.
    It's a little late, but I would propose an altered problem statement:
    Given that x^2 +12x +A = (x+B)^2 is satisfied for all x find values of A and B.
    Otherwise this problem has an infinite number of solutions for A and B.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. find the values of m
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 28th 2011, 01:52 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 28th 2010, 01:39 AM
  3. find values for x
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 14th 2009, 08:38 PM
  4. Find the values of F1 and F2
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 19th 2009, 10:20 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 24th 2009, 05:16 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum