Results 1 to 3 of 3

Math Help - Percentage problem with confusing phrasing

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92

    Percentage problem with confusing phrasing

    Hey Guys,

    This one seems very simple in (a) and (b) but the phrasing in (c) has me stumped. A hint would be much appreciated!



    The pie char shows the proportion of students who travel to school by bus, car, train and on foot.

    (a) How many students out of 1440 travel to school by train?
    (b) What percentage of the students travel to school by bus?
    (c) 96% of the students who live less that two kilometers away from the school walk to school. The remaining 4% travel by car to school. What percentage of all those who travel by car to school live less than 2 km away from the school?

    My solution,

    (a) Calculate Train angle to 67. Then 67/360*1440 is no of students by train = 268.

    (b) % students by bus = 63/360 = 17.5%

    (c) The phrasing is confusing me. Does it imply all students who walk are < 2km from school?

    Thanks for your help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    (c) 96% of the students who live less that two kilometers away from the school walk to school. The remaining 4% travel by car to school. What percentage of all those who travel by car to school live less than 2 km away from the school?

    720 students walk to school which is 96% of all people living less than 2kms
    So there are 720 / 0.96 = 750 students who live less than 2kms away.
    4% of 750 = 30 = no. of students who travel by car.

    Now there are: (50/360) (1440) = 200 students travel by car totally.
    So answer is 30/200 = 15%

    Academy Sigma: Maths Tuition Hong Kong
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    Thanks. So that was the key assumption. I was confused that there could be students who walk to school and are outside the 2km range.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Word problem - with confusing phrasing
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 12th 2011, 05:38 AM
  2. Confusing problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 18th 2010, 11:06 AM
  3. Confusing SAT problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 1st 2010, 11:02 PM
  4. Confusing problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 22nd 2008, 09:12 AM
  5. Another confusing problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 2nd 2008, 06:48 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum