Results 1 to 14 of 14

Math Help - Solving inequalities

  1. #1
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    Solving inequalities

    \dfrac{m}{6}-5>-6

    I really forgot how to do this... Should i make that -5 a fraction?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    You can do although I would simply multiply through each term by 6. Since 6 > 0 the direction of the inequality remains unchanged

    m - 30 > -36
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor harish21's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    From
    Dirty South
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    \dfrac{m}{6}-5>-6

    I really forgot how to do this... Should i make that -5 a fraction?
    Or Add 5 on both sides of the inequality:

    \dfrac{m}{6}-5+5>-6+5

    \dfrac{m}{6} > -1

    then multiply by 6
    Last edited by harish21; February 22nd 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1

    trying to solve it

    I really don't know how that one works but here its what i have in mind

    [Math]\dfrac{m}{6}-\dfrac{5}{1}>6[/tex] ?
    I really don't know what i am doing
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by harish21 View Post
    Or Add 6 on both sides of the inequality:

    \dfrac{m}{6}-5+5>-6+5

    \dfrac{m}{6} > -1

    then multiply by 6
    That guy said multiply, and now you said add it, it looks like 3 different ways to do it now that made me
    really confused
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by harish21 View Post
    Or Add 6 on both sides of the inequality:

    \dfrac{m}{6}-5+5>-6+5

    \dfrac{m}{6} > -1

    then multiply by 6
    by the way i multiply it is it m= -6?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,129
    Thanks
    1010
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    That guy said multiply, and now you said add it, it looks like 3 different ways to do it now that made me
    really confused
    e^(i*pi) said to multiply by 6 to clear the fraction

    harish21 said to add 5 to isolate the variable term

    they showed you two different methods to approach the problem


    by the way i multiply it is it m= -6?
    m > -6 ... it's an inequality, not an equation.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    e^(i*pi) said to multiply by 6 to clear the fraction

    harish21 said to add 5 to isolate the variable term

    they showed you two different methods to approach the problem




    m > -6 ... it's an inequality, not an equation.
    Right sorry for that i got that on my paper forgot to put it.
    i did another one just to prove im right ... is


    5+ \dfrac{N}{2}>8
    how i solved this....


    did -5 on the 8 got

    \dfrac{N}{2}* \dfrac{3}{1}
    N>6

    RIGHT?!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    N > 6 is correct but you have put multiply (*) in your working rather than greater than (>)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    but it is already there in the (N/2)* (3/1)

    .. Sorry if this is an off topic question but i got two more question for exponents and order of operations.. it has like 10 5 problems and im just asking for one in each section because i don't remember some of this stuff which is .... very simple

    So should i create 1 more post with those 2 question which are different Topics but still under algebra category? or 2 different post?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,831
    Thanks
    1602
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    Right sorry for that i got that on my paper forgot to put it.
    i did another one just to prove im right ... is


    5+ \dfrac{N}{2}>8
    how i solved this....


    did -5 on the 8 got

    \dfrac{N}{2}* \dfrac{3}{1}
    N>6

    RIGHT?!
    If that middle step was \displaystyle \frac{N}{2} > 3 then yes, it's correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    If that middle step was \displaystyle \frac{N}{2} > 3 then yes, it's correct.
    yes exactly what i meant.. I just made that 3 a fraction
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,831
    Thanks
    1602
    Quote Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
    yes exactly what i meant.. I just made that 3 a fraction
    That's not what I was pointing out, I was pointing out the use of a multiplication sign where the inequality sign should have been...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Senior Member vaironxxrd's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    From
    USA
    Posts
    428
    Thanks
    1
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    That's not what I was pointing out, I was pointing out the use of a multiplication sign where the inequality sign should have been...
    I also did that earlier with a (*)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. solving inequalities
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 15th 2010, 07:06 PM
  2. Solving Inequalities
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 11th 2008, 02:01 PM
  3. Solving Inequalities
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 2nd 2008, 03:00 AM
  4. Solving Inequalities
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 13th 2008, 09:21 PM
  5. Solving inequalities??
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 30th 2005, 10:01 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum