Results 1 to 13 of 13

Math Help - stuck

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6

    Unhappy stuck

    Please help.

    solve: 2/3 + 4/6 = ____.

    Am i doing this right ?

    2 x 2 = 4
    - = -
    3 x 3 = 6 4 x 1 = 4
    - = -
    6 x 1 = 6

    = 8/6 << how do i put in simplest term ???
    Last edited by misz infamouz; July 22nd 2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: messed up
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by misz infamouz View Post
    Please help.

    solve: 2/3 + 4/6 = ____.

    Am i doing this right ?

    2 4
    - = -
    3 6 = 8/6 << how do i put in simplest term ???
    4 4
    - = -
    6 6
    yes, the answer is 8/6. to get it in the simplest form, divide the top and bottom by 2, you get 4/3
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    yes, the answer is 8/6. to get it in the simplest form, divide the top and bottom by 2, you get 4/3
    I simplified it and got 2/1.
    But isn't that incorrect ?
    Because doesn't the bottom denominator have to be lower
    than the top denominator ?

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by misz infamouz View Post
    I simplified it and got 2/1.
    But isn't that incorrect ?
    Because doesn't the bottom denominator have to be lower
    than the top denominator ?

    as i said, the answer is 4/3, if you want a proper fraction, we can rewrite this as 1 1/3
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,899
    Thanks
    329
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    as i said, the answer is 4/3, if you want a proper fraction, we can rewrite this as 1 1/3
    Pet peeve warning! Danger! Danger Will Robinson!
    [rant]
    Just for the record here, I dislike proper fractions.

    It's not the concept, it's the form of the number. Something like "1 1/3" is likely to be misconstrued either as 11/3 or 1 times 1/3. The only saving grace to them is when it is typed in some sort of font such as 1 \frac{1}{3}, but this also can be taken to be 1 \cdot \frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{3}.

    I think overall it's much better just to leave it as 4/3.
    [/rant]

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Pet peeve warning! Danger! Danger Will Robinson!
    [rant]
    Just for the record here, I dislike proper fractions.

    It's not the concept, it's the form of the number. Something like "1 1/3" is likely to be misconstrued either as 11/3 or 1 times 1/3. The only saving grace to them is when it is typed in some sort of font such as 1 \frac{1}{3}, but this also can be taken to be 1 \cdot \frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{3}.

    I think overall it's much better just to leave it as 4/3.
    [/rant]

    -Dan
    I 100% agree with you! I would have left it like that had the poster not had a problem with it
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by misz infamouz View Post
    Please help.

    solve: 2/3 + 4/6 = ____.

    Am i doing this right ?

    2 x 2 = 4
    - = -
    3 x 3 = 6 4 x 1 = 4
    - = -
    6 x 1 = 6

    = 8/6 << how do i put in simplest term ???
    yes your doing correct way.now the denominators are same.adding the nuemarators.so that 8+4=12 and 12/6=2 is the answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    3 x 3 = 6 is definitely not true.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by misz infamouz View Post
    Please help.

    solve: 2/3 + 4/6 = ____.

    Am i doing this right ?

    2 x 2 = 4
    - = -
    3 x 3 = 6 4 x 1 = 4
    - = -
    6 x 1 = 6

    = 8/6 << how do i put in simplest term ???
    sorry for yesterdays answer.here 3*3=9but not 6.what you have todo is numaretor and denominator is multiplied with same number and that must be3*2=6and2*2=4.now that will become 4/6+4/6=8/6 this cancacel with 2 then you will get 4/3. that is the answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by asurekha1970 View Post
    sorry for yesterdays answer.here 3*3=9but not 6.what you have todo is numaretor and denominator is multiplied with same number and that must be3*2=6and2*2=4.now that will become 4/6+4/6=8/6 this cancacel with 2 then you will get 4/3. that is the answer.
    thanks, but that answer has already been established
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Yes asurekha1970, there is no need to reply to questions that are already answered unless you see a mistake with the answer, or if you have an easier or completely different method of calculating it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    Yes asurekha1970, there is no need to reply to questions that are already answered unless you see a mistake with the answer, or if you have an easier or completely different method of calculating it.
    but how can i find new problems.what is the use of joining math forum help.where do i get problems.give answers to my questions.then give advices to me.iam new to this forum.please help me. i want to become a online tutor.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    Meh
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by asurekha1970 View Post
    but how can i find new problems.what is the use of joining math forum help.where do i get problems.give answers to my questions.then give advices to me.iam new to this forum.please help me. i want to become a online tutor.
    You have to wait for a problem to spring up. And yes that does take time, but that's the way it is. I think the Americans have started with school and university again, so there will be plenty of problems again soon. There are times when it gets very busy on the forum. Just be patient.

    By the way do you have a degree in mathematics?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Stuck
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 21st 2010, 11:09 AM
  2. stuck with sin^4(x)
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 24th 2009, 04:56 PM
  3. Stuck on a Log :(
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 21st 2008, 12:10 PM
  4. somebody help me plz im so stuck
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 30th 2007, 11:43 AM
  5. Stuck, Stuck, Stuck - Need Help Urgently
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 17th 2005, 05:46 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum