Expand him out
Hmmm, two linear functions with the same gradient and different y-intercept. Looks like trouble. I would say there are no solutions to this guy, but why?
1. 18x+5=3(6x-2) what does x equal?
2. A ship leaves the harbor moving at 24 mi/h. 3 hours later a second ship leaves from the same harbor at 32 mi/h in the same direction. How long will it take the second ship to overtake the first?
for question 2:
1) ship 1's velocity relative to ship 2 is 32-24 = 8 mi/h. So ship 2 is basically going 8mi/h faster.
2) ship 2 is behind how many miles? well d = 3 * 24 = 72 miles
3) now the time it'll take to get to ship 1 = 72/8 = 9 hours.
you could picture this as:
ship 1 is stationary 72 miles away. ship 2 is moving 8mi/h. How long would it take ship 2 to get to ship 1?