Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Creating a Formula

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3

    Creating a Formula

    Hi. I hope I placed this thread in the correct place, I looked around and thought this forum was the most appropriate. On to my question.

    I have a number of formulas I would like to create, I know all the variables of the formula but I don't know how they interact with each other to create the end result. Ideally I'm looking for a program where I can input the variables and have it work it out automatically however if someone could explain or link me to something that explains how to efficiently create a formula manually that would also work.

    An example of the formula is;

    A (Starting Number) +-*^/ B,C,D,E,F = G (End Result)

    A is my starting number, 100 for example. B to F are the variables which are percentages which add, multiply, divide, subtract / whatever else to create G which is the final result. What I need to know is how B to F interact with each other since so I can change A at will in a spreadsheet.

    Many Thanks,
    Voland
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Voland View Post
    What I need to know is how B to F interact with each other since so I can change A at will in a spreadsheet.
    I'm a little confused about what your intent is... are the operations (+, -, *, ^, /)supposed to operate on each of the variables A, B, C, D, E, F in the manner that they're listed? Symbolically:

    \frac{(((A + B) - C)*D)^E}{F} = G?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Master Of Puppets
    pickslides's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,236
    Thanks
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Voland View Post

    A is my starting number, 100 for example. B to F are the variables which are percentages which add, multiply, divide, subtract / whatever else to create G which is the final result. What I need to know is how B to F interact with each other since so I can change A at will in a spreadsheet.

    Many Thanks,
    Voland
    Do you any further information, like some raw data?

    Sometimes data can be linked a number of ways. Tell me more.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfrtbx View Post
    I'm a little confused about what your intent is... are the operations (+, -, *, ^, /)supposed to operate on each of the variables A, B, C, D, E, F in the manner that they're listed? Symbolically:

    \frac{(((A + B) - C)*D)^E}{F} = G?
    Now I re-look what I posted it does look somewhat confusing. I actually don't know what operations are used, just the variables. What operations are used and how they fit fit together is what I require.

    sorry about that.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    588
    Thanks
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Voland View Post
    Now I re-look what I posted it does look somewhat confusing. I actually don't know what operations are used, just the variables. What operations are used and how they fit fit together is what I require.

    sorry about that.
    You need to be more specific. What you're saying is equivalent to giving an artist a paintbrush and an empty canvas and asking him what picture it makes. The answer is of course it can be any picture you want, limited only by the skill of the artist. Your question is basically giving us the paint brush in terms of operators and empty canvas in terms of the variables. You can make almost any equation out of them.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    I don't have access to all the data and can't change all of the variables on the fly at the moment but below is an example of one of the formulas I'd like to solve.

    A (Starting Number), B,C,D, E (End Result)

    30,000 0% 100% 100% 18,750
    30,000 0% 89% 100% 19,481
    30,000 0% 79% 100% 20,270
    30,000 0% 70% 100% 21,127
    30,000 0% 59% 100% 22,059
    30,000 0% 50% 100% 23,077
    30,000 0% 39% 100% 24,194
    30,000 0% 29% 100% 25,424
    30,000 0% 19% 100% 26,786
    30,000 0% 9% 100% 28,302

    I can only change C at the moment but tomorrow I'll be able to change all the variables to within 10%.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Help creating a formula for a software.
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 5th 2011, 02:11 PM
  2. Need help creating a formula for music chart
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 21st 2011, 10:08 AM
  3. Problem with creating a formula
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 15th 2011, 09:33 AM
  4. Need help creating a formula
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 2nd 2009, 07:40 AM
  5. Need help with creating Break Even Formula
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 7th 2009, 10:35 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum