Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Percentage of a percentage compared with another percentage

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    52

    Percentage of a percentage compared with another percentage

    Im having a tough time evaluating this word problem.
    If 47 percent of the population are working class, and the other 53 percent of the population are upper class. Then if 37 percent of the whole upperclass, which is 53 percent of the total population are the owners of the factories where the working class work, what is the percentage population of the factory owners in terms of the total population.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member Anonymous1's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Big Red, NY
    Posts
    517
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ugkwan View Post
    Im having a tough time evaluating this word problem.
    If 47 percent of the population are working class, and the other 53 percent of the population are upper class. Then if 37 percent of the whole upperclass, which is 53 percent of the total population are the owners of the factories where the working class work, what is the percentage population of the factory owners in terms of the total population.
    p= pop; u= upper; w= working; f= factory owner.

    Convince yourself that,

    .53p = u

    Also,

    .37u = f \implies .37\cdot (.53p) = f \implies .1961p = f.

    That is, 19.61% of the population are factory owners.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 26th 2011, 09:19 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Percentage help
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 18th 2010, 03:40 AM
  3. percentage
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 16th 2009, 05:16 AM
  4. what percentage is 1/7?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 16th 2008, 07:46 AM
  5. [SOLVED] percentage help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 6th 2007, 02:36 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum