Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Proof of Induction

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383

    Proof of Induction

    It is given that  sn=2*2+3*2^2+4*2^2+........ +(n+1)*2^n

    a) By first considering the values of \frac{S1}{1}, \frac{S2}{2}, \frac{S3}{3}, \frac{S4}{4} and making a conjecture for a formula for \frac{Sn}{n}, make a conjecture for a formula for Sn.

    b) Use induction to prove that your conjecture is correct.

    For a) i did S1=4, S2=6,  S3=8

    so the conjecture for Sn=2n+2

    b) S1=4,  S1=2*1+2=4
    so n=1 is true.

    Sk=2k+2
    Sk+1=2(k+1)+2 = 2k+4

    what do i do next? or how to i prove Sk+1=2k+4

    thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,980
    Thanks
    1643
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    It is given that  sn=2*2+3*2^2+4*2^2+........ +(n+1)*2^n

    a) By first considering the values of \frac{S1}{1}, \frac{S2}{2}, \frac{S3}{3}, \frac{S4}{4} and making a conjecture for a formula for \frac{Sn}{n}, make a conjecture for a formula for Sn.

    b) Use induction to prove that your conjecture is correct.

    For a) i did S1=4, S2=6,  S3=8
    No, S2= 2(2)+ 3(4)= 4+ 12= 16, not 6 and S3= 2(2)+ 3(4)+ 4(8)= 4+ 12+ 32= 48, not 8.

    Why not do what you were told to do- look at Sn/n first?

    S1/1= 4, S2/2= 8, S3/3= 48/3= 16, ...

    so the conjecture for Sn=2n+2

    b) S1=4,  S1=2*1+2=4
    so n=1 is true.

    Sk=2k+2
    Sk+1=2(k+1)+2 = 2k+4

    what do i do next? or how to i prove Sk+1=2k+4

    thanks.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    No, S2= 2(2)+ 3(4)= 4+ 12= 16, not 6 and S3= 2(2)+ 3(4)+ 4(8)= 4+ 12+ 32= 48, not 8.

    Why not do what you were told to do- look at Sn/n first?

    S1/1= 4, S2/2= 8, S3/3= 48/3= 16, ...
    so i have \frac{Sn}{n} = 2^{n+1}

    \rightarrow Sn=2^{n+1}*n
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    so i have \frac{Sn}{n} = 2^{n+1}

    \rightarrow Sn=2^{n+1}*n
    now im stuck on

    2^{k+2}+2(2^{k+1}*k) = 2^{k+2}*(k+1)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    now im stuck on

    2^{k+2}+2(2^{k+1}*k) = 2^{k+2}*(k+1)
    Hi BabyMilo,

    P(k)

    S_k=k2^{k+1}

    then we try to express P(k+1) in terms of P(k) to find out if there is a cause

    P(k+1)

    S_{k+1}=(k+1)2^{k+2}

    Let's see if this is what we get when we add the (k+1)th term to S_k

    S_k+T_{k+1}=k2^{k+1}+(k+2)2^{k+1}

    since the (k+1)th term is (k+1+1)2^{k+1}

    S_k+T_{k+1}=2^{k+1}(k+k+2)=2(k+1)2^{k+1}=(k+1)2^{k  +2}

    As S_k being valid will cause S_{k+1} to be valid,

    there is a cause and effect relationship, so you only need test the first one.
    Last edited by Archie Meade; April 23rd 2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typo
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie Meade View Post
    Hi BabyMilo,

    P(k)

    S_k=k2^{k+1}

    then we try to express P(k+1) in terms of P(k) to find out if there is a cause

    P(k+1)

    S_{k+1}=(k+1)2^{k+2}

    Let's see if this is what we get when we add the (k+1)th term to S_k

    S_k+T_{k+1}=k2^{k+1}+(k+2)2^{k+1}

    since the (k+1)th term is (k+1)2^{k+1+1}

    S_k+T_{k+1}=2^{k+1}(k+k+2)=2(k+1)2^{k+1}=(k+1)2^{k  +2}

    As S_k being valid will cause S_{k+1} to be valid,

    there is a cause and effect relationship, so you only need test the first one.
    Can you show me how you got from to S_k+T_{k+1}=2^{k+1}(k+k+2)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    Can you show me how you got from to S_k+T_{k+1}=2^{k+1}(k+k+2)
    Yes,

    if we take 2^{k+1} as the common factor of both terms

    2^{k+1}[k]+2^{k+1}(k+2)=2^{k+1}\left([k]+(k+2)\right)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Proof using induction
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 5th 2009, 08:46 PM
  2. Induction Proof
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 5th 2009, 02:35 PM
  3. Mathemtical Induction Proof (Stuck on induction)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 8th 2009, 09:33 PM
  4. Proof by induction
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 30th 2008, 06:25 AM
  5. Proof with algebra, and proof by induction (problems)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 8th 2008, 01:20 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum