Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - table and graph "functions" look help

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    17

    table and graph "functions" look help

    i dont understand how i can get one answer out of the graph with so many points. can someone please solve this problem with the steps if possible. i looked in every page in my algebra book and looked online for about an hour and i just cant figure it out. someone please help

    i need help with #15 as well. i tried just plugging in numbers and 4 but i couldnt get a pattern or one answer. i wish i had similar problems in my book so i didnt have to bug you guys, sorry.

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by murkr View Post
    i dont understand how i can get one answer out of the graph with so many points. can someone please solve this problem with the steps if possible. i looked in every page in my algebra book and looked online for about an hour and i just cant figure it out. someone please help

    i need help with #15 as well. i tried just plugging in numbers and 4 but i couldnt get a pattern or one answer. i wish i had similar problems in my book so i didnt have to bug you guys, sorry.

    (image)
    These problems test your understanding of functions, in particular, composition of functions.

    14) Look at f(g(-3)) from the inside out. That is, find g(-3) first. So, say you find that g(-3) = a, then you look up f(a).

    15) This is the same setup, but instead of reading off the graph you have a table. Also the notation is slightly different but it's the same meaning, in this case, find f(g(4)).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by undefined View Post
    These problems test your understanding of functions, in particular, composition of functions.

    14) Look at f(g(-3)) from the inside out. That is, find g(-3) first. So, say you find that g(-3) = a, then you look up f(a).

    15) This is the same setup, but instead of reading off the graph you have a table. Also the notation is slightly different but it's the same meaning, in this case, find f(g(4)).
    thank you, ok so your helpful advise on #14 i got the answer 2 which is D. did i follow you correctly? was it 2?

    and for #15 i got the same answer 2 which was answer A. again did i do this right? please verify this, thanks man that was great help if i got these right you really made it easy for me to understand, and i believe when i come across this problem on the test ill get it right because of your help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor undefined's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,340
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by murkr View Post
    thank you, ok so your helpful advise on #14 i got the answer 2 which is D. did i follow you correctly? was it 2?

    and for #15 i got the same answer 2 which was answer A. again did i do this right? please verify this, thanks man that was great help if i got these right you really made it easy for me to understand, and i believe when i come across this problem on the test ill get it right because of your help.
    I confirm your results. Showing work, this would be:

    14)

    g(-3) = 1
    f(1) = 2

    Therefore f(g(-3)) = 2

    15)

    f(g(4)) = f(8) = 2

    Note that I wrote the work for 15 a bit differently from 14, but the logic is the same in both cases.

    Glad I could help!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 17th 2011, 02:50 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 24th 2011, 07:01 AM
  3. "Logically possible" vs "truth table-possible"
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 8th 2011, 02:52 PM
  4. Constructing a truth table using the connective "not"
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 22nd 2010, 04:48 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 25th 2010, 04:45 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum