Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - function problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36

    function problem

    i don't quite understand what i'm being asked to do in this question. maybe it's the wording. anyway here goes.

    let f(t) be the number of cm of rainfall that has fallen since midnight, where t is the time in hours. interpret the following in practical terms, giving units.

    f(1)=3.1.

    this should be easy but i've reached boiliong point with this assignment. thanks in advance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    From
    1111
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotalion View Post
    i don't quite understand what i'm being asked to do in this question. maybe it's the wording. anyway here goes.

    let f(t) be the number of cm of rainfall that has fallen since midnight, where t is the time in hours. interpret the following in practical terms, giving units.

    f(1)=3.1.

    this should be easy but i've reached boiliong point with this assignment. thanks in advance.
    Dear thatsnotolion,

    Can you tell me the meaning (pratical interpretaion) of t=1?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    i think it means that one hour has passed since midnight? i don't know. i am confused by the wording of the question.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    From
    1111
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotalion View Post
    i think it means that one hour has passed since midnight? i don't know. i am confused by the wording of the question.
    Dear thatsnotalion,

    Yes you are correct. So what can we say about f(t)=3.1 If I start it like this "After 1 hour from midnight..........." Hope you can complete this sentence.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    1 hour after midnight 3.1 cm of rain fell. is that right?
    i thought that from the start but it seemed too easy
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    From
    1111
    Posts
    872
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotalion View Post
    1 hour after midnight 3.1 cm of rain fell. is that right?
    i thought that from the start but it seemed too easy
    Dear thatsnotalion,

    Yes but better to put it this way "3.1cm of rain had fallen after 1 hour from midnight". Because you are refering to the ammount of accumilation of rain.

    Now did you understand the problem?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    yes. thankyou very much for your help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: November 27th 2012, 06:28 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 13th 2010, 02:03 AM
  3. 1 Word problem and 1 function problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 21st 2010, 09:01 AM
  4. Greatest integer function (=step function) problem
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 7th 2009, 02:43 PM
  5. Function within a function problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 26th 2009, 04:49 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum