Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Rational functions - word problem

  1. #1
    Banned
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Rational functions - word problem

    A group of students have volunteered for the student council car wash. Janet can wash a car in m minutes. Rodriguez can wash a car in m - 5 minutes, while Nick needs the same amount of time as Janet. If they all work together, they can wash a car in about 3.23 minutes. How long does Janet take to wash a car?

    Succinct explanations in steps would be helpful. Thanks, guys.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Thanks
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by MHurricane View Post
    A group of students have volunteered for the student council car wash. Janet can wash a car in m minutes. Rodriguez can wash a car in m - 5 minutes, while Nick needs the same amount of time as Janet. If they all work together, they can wash a car in about 3.23 minutes. How long does Janet take to wash a car?

    Succinct explanations in steps would be helpful. Thanks, guys.
    work rates ...

    janet ... (1 car)/(m minutes)

    rod ... (1 car)/(m-5 minutes)

    nick ... (1 car)/(m-5 minutes)


    all three together complete the job in 3.23 minutes ...

    \left(\frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{m-5} + \frac{1}{m}\right) \cdot (3.23) = 1 car washed

    solve the equation for m
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Banned
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    work rates ...

    janet ... (1 car)/(m minutes)

    rod ... (1 car)/(m-5 minutes)

    nick ... (1 car)/(m-5 minutes)


    all three together complete the job in 3.23 minutes ...

    \left(\frac{1}{m} + \frac{1}{m-5} + \frac{1}{m}\right) \cdot (3.23) = 1 car washed

    solve the equation for m
    I appreciate your efforts, however, you are wrong. Thanks, though. I got it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,872
    Thanks
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by MHurricane View Post
    I appreciate your efforts, however, you are wrong. Thanks, though. I got it.
    how do you figure?

    I get m = 12 minutes
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Banned
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    how do you figure?

    I get m = 12 minutes
    harharhar, you are right.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Word Problem - Rational Equation??
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 31st 2010, 09:05 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Rational Function: Application word problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 7th 2009, 11:05 AM
  3. Rational Function..word problem..HELP!!!
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 10th 2009, 06:20 AM
  4. Rational equation word problem.. help plz
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 4th 2008, 05:54 PM
  5. Rational Word Problem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 2nd 2007, 05:01 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum